Forum

TOPIC: Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted)

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354136

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
I decided I need a new high end PC for college and gaming. And I need our resident PC gurus to help me. I'm buying from Ibuypower.com and doing some rough customization I've hit the $3,500 range which is in my budget. Please forgive my ignorance in the questions below. I'll facepalm myself for you.Here is what I have so far and I need some help choosing some things.Case: Nzxt Lexa Gaming Tower CasePower Supply: I was think I need a 750 watt but depending on all the other stuff I have I might need to go higher.Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Processor 965 (4x 3.2GHz/8MB L3 Cache)Processor Cooling: Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System KitMotherboard: I may want to get the MSI Eclipse SLI.Memory: I was thinking about 6GB. Do I need more?Video card: What's the difference between the "2x" models? If it means a better looking picture I may want to go with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB.Video Card Brand: eVGA Brand Video Cards [SLI enabled] Powered by NVIDIAHard drive: 1 TBCD/DVD Drive: 16x DVD-ROM Drive - Sony BlackCD-RW/DVD-RW Drive: Sony 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive.Sound Card: I might go with the Creative Lab Sound Blaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer.Speaker System: Logitech X-240 2.1 Configuration Speakers SystemNetwork Card: I'm just going to use the onboard card. My room isn't near my router.Monitor: I'm going to need some help picking this one. I'm looking at the 20.1" LCD 16:10 Wide WSXGA HD(HDCP) Monitor Support DVI Video up to 1080P(HDMI).Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse-II PK02U Gaming Keyboard Mouse: NZXT Avatar 2600 dpi Gaming MouseAnd can someone please explain to me what SLI is?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354145

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
SLi mode is when you run 2 graphics cards at once to improve performance.a few things.Only get 6gigs if you're getting Vista, and if you want a gaming rig soon, wait for Windows 7 so you don't have to bother with Vista. XP on the other hand won't be able to detect 6gigs, and at the same time, I doubt you'll need it.The GTX 280 should be more than enough for you.750 watts is probably fine, probably more than enough again.Do NOT get any of the Creative sound cards. I got one and it's been nothing but trouble. Not properly updating, giving me trouble in every game that requires it, all around problems. Don't bother, I just use my onboard memory now and it works like a charm, just save yourself the money honestly.Get the monitor from a different place. Just get no monitor from ibuypower and then check online and around newegg for a better priced, better quality monitor than whatever ibuypower has in stock.That's about all I know, I'm sure Octo and eswat have some suggestions too.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354146

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
Ezekiel;354145 wrote:
SLi mode is when you run 2 graphics cards at once to improve performance.a few things.Only get 6gigs if you're getting Vista, and if you want a gaming rig soon, wait for Windows 7 so you don't have to bother with Vista. XP on the other hand won't be able to detect 6gigs, and at the same time, I doubt you'll need it.The GTX 280 should be more than enough for you.750 watts is probably fine, probably more than enough again.Do NOT get any of the Creative sound cards. I got one and it's been nothing but trouble. Not properly updating, giving me trouble in every game that requires it, all around problems. Don't bother, I just use my onboard memory now and it works like a charm, just save yourself the money honestly.Get the monitor from a different place. Just get no monitor from ibuypower and then check online and around newegg for a better priced, better quality monitor than whatever ibuypower has in stock.That's about all I know, I'm sure Octo and eswat have some suggestions too.
Thank you Ezey.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354150

• Octocamo
  • Stage A - 1
$3500? damn... I'm sure one of us could build it cheaper if you wanted to pay for the parts and have one of us build it.The i7 is insane, I want it. Definitely a good choice but the cost is outrageous right now. But if you have the money, whatever.XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit can read more than 3GB of memory, Ezekiel is wrong. :P I have 4GB right now running Vista and it's fine. if you get 6GB might as well get 8GB since it's cheaper to get packs of 2x 2GB of ram these days anyways. 8GB would cost you around $100-120. 750 Watts sounds fine, but I might go a little higher.GTX280 is bad ass, and 2 of them is even more insane. Again, if you have the money go for it. 1 of them can probably run anything. If you want to save money, buy 1 now, and by another later when the price drops a lot lower.1TB HD should be enough, make sure it's SATA though.Keyboard and Mouse can probably be bought cheaper either at buy.com or newegg. Same with the monitor.$3500 for a PC is ridiculous. eswat and I paid around $800 for each of ours and we can run pretty much anything on/near max settings fairly good.
PSN: solisnkXBL: OctocamoSteam: OctocamoOrigin + Battlelog: Octocamo

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354153

• eswat
  • Stage A - 1
Octocamo;354150 wrote:
$3500 for a PC is ridiculous. eswat and I paid around $800 for each of ours and we can run pretty much anything on/near max settings fairly good.
I should note that both of us built ours. Not everyone wants to build one and the price would be increased accordingly.Ever since I've built mine in Feb, I've become ignorant of PC specs and OS requirements again, so I don't usually reply to these threads anymore because of that.But $3500 does seem a bit steep for a single PC for a student. In my opinion, a $1500 - $2000 gaming PC + a $500-$750 laptop would be a more sound combo.If you wanted to try to cut corners with the setup you have now:
  • 4GB will be fine for now. Go with 6GB if you feel strongly that you will not want to open up you case years from now to do some upgrades.
  • I also recommend ditching the Creative soundcard (not sure if they fixed it now, but they've used to drown in problems with their drivers for years) for another brand, or forgoing a soundcard all-together.
  • While you're waiting for your machine to get shipped to you, you can probably find better local deals on speakers, mice and a keyboard if you're not living far away from those shops.
Sorry if my advice sucks. Funnydale, Burr, Bloodburn, Gene, etc. will give you wiser words.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354154

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
Thank you everybody. I really don't mind paying a little more for it. It'll last me four or five years, maybe longer. I like IBP and I want them to continue making affordable gaming PCs. At least I'm paying 1/5 or 1/10 of what Alienware or Falcon Northwest charges.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354157

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Personally I agree with splitting the money between a desktop and laptop, but if you're dead set on going all out on this computer and want it to last a good while, don't cheap out.You should get a Blu-Ray drive at the very least. That DVD kind of caught me off guard after all the other crazy stuff you're throwing in there.Definitely don't skimp on RAM. Even if it can't be justified right now, go for that 6-8 GB, because something will use it eventually and if anything, you can just run more crap at once. Make sure your OS is 64-bit whether it's Vista or XP, but honestly the Vista hate is pretty unjustified at this point, and waiting for what's next is silly. Windows 7 is mostly just a rebrand to fool those who keep parroting negativity towards it, plus do you really want to have to buy a second OS later on for another couple hundred bucks and reinstall it? XP will no longer be supported down the line either and DirectX 10 usage will be more prevalent, so while it may get you 5 more fps in your games now, it'd be really silly to doom yourself and your kickin' rad hardware on obsolete software.Onboard/CPU audio has gotten far enough along that getting a separate board is pointless unless you do serious mixing work or something. I'm not too familiar as to what other brands there are besides Creative nowadays (Turtle Beach?), but they've been thoroughly roasted as far as driver support on both Windows and Linux so it's more trouble than it's worth.I'd go ahead and get a bigger monitor (one that does 1900x1200) if you're going to drive it with two GTX280's in SLI. IMO if you're going to do SLI, do it from the start, sitting around and waiting for the right time to add a second card has always been a bust because by the time you get around to it the whole thing's obsolete. Might as well enjoy being the king while it lasts.Again this is all based on whether you're really intent on spending crazy money and don't want to touch and open it up and tweak/upgrade it yourself. You can get an excellent experience spending a lot less as has been already noted, and personally that's what I would do. I even have the money for all that high end stuff myself and I still went for the most value, mostly because it's just too depressing to see really expensive hardware depreciate in value at the same rate as mid range stuff..
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354161

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Token White Guy;354154 wrote:
Thank you everybody. I really don't mind paying a little more for it. It'll last me four or five years, maybe longer. I like IBP and I want them to continue making affordable gaming PCs. At least I'm paying 1/5 or 1/10 of what Alienware or Falcon Northwest charges.
A LITTLE more? Dude you should seriously consider rethinking this...$3500? When you could pay a little over $800? That's insane.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354164

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
Nut_Man;354161 wrote:
A LITTLE more? Dude you should seriously consider rethinking this...$3500? When you could pay a little over $800? That's insane.
Well I can't build the thing myself. And I doubt some hillbilly in bum-fuck Alabama could either.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354169

• Funnydale
  • Level 8
You're spending WAY too more for that PC than you should.You're literally wasting 400-500 dollars right off the bat by buying a second Nvidia GTX 280 for no real noticeable performance gain (unless you LOVE Crysis) -- especially for a 20 inch monitor.Here:Intel Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130WEVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16Just by buying that CPU instead of the 3.2 GHZ one, you'll save over 500 bucks.Also, buying two Nvidia GTX 260's (if you're really hard-up on SLI) will cost about the same as a single Nvidia GTX 280 and will yield much better performance. Trust me, buying two GTX 280 cards is a waste of money and electricity.Spend 1500 on your PC and use the extra 2000 to buy a laptop and a good1080P HDTV and hook it up to your PC. You'll be much better off than spending an extra 1000 +++ dollars for an extra 400 MHZ on your CPU and a 450 dollar videocard that you really don't need.Truth be told, I would save a lot more money by just getting a good quad core 755 socket system (such as the Q9550 processer), a decent 755 socket motherboard and 4-gigs of DDR2 Ram. You can get all that for less than 500 dollars. Add in a couple GTX 260 cards, a case, that 750 watt power supply and a hard drive and you'll have a PC that can run anything that's worth playing for around 1300 dollars.