Forum

TOPIC: PCGA President: 'Let's Monetize Those Pirates'

PCGA President: 'Let's Monetize Those Pirates' 11 years 4 weeks ago #347847

• eswat
  • Stage A - 1
Sounds logical... until you realize pirates can just remove the ads like they remove, I don't know, every DRM method that has been integrated into every PC game ever made...http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55445
The Alliance president reiterated the most frequently mentioned solutions to the piracy problem, such as digital distribution and taking games online, but he also had a novel idea for what to do before the day that markets go entirely digital."Let's monetize every one of those pirates, and let's advertise the hell out of them," Stude asserted. "Serving, for example, six times the number of in-game ads on unauthenticated game versions would be a piracy deterrent that also provides revenues to the developer," wrote Gamasutra of Stude's idea.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

PCGA President: 'Let's Monetize Those Pirates' 11 years 4 weeks ago #347855

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Yeah, sounds like a great idea for them, but it won't work.

PCGA President: 'Let's Monetize Those Pirates' 11 years 4 weeks ago #347858

Good games don't have a problem with sales. Look at Gal Civ 2, and Sins of a Solar Empire. As well as The Orange Box, The Witcher, Crysis.Just make the game good and stop it with the Secure Rom. That stuff is spy ware.And the 360 version of Fallout 3, and Gears of War 2 being leaked should show how pointless it is to fight pirates. The interesting thing about Fallout 3 is it was leaked before the PC version. That's funny.Anyway I wish they would go back to adding incentives to buy the game as DRM. Like a cool color manual with art work, cloth map in every box, etc... But alas those days are gone.
[gamercard]JimPatrick[/gamercard]"The future changes as we stand here, else we are the game pieces of the gods, not their heirs, as we have been promised.""Tanis comes to me for advice, not because I am a seer. He comes because I am able to think, which is something most of these other fools seem incapable of doing."-Raistlin

PCGA President: 'Let's Monetize Those Pirates' 11 years 4 weeks ago #347862

the best selling consoles right now are the ones that are easiest to pirate.just throwing that out there.

PCGA President: 'Let's Monetize Those Pirates' 11 years 4 weeks ago #347939

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
The easiest thing to do is to make them buy the game to get some sort of cool online only content. Thats what stardock does with Gal civ 2.

PCGA President: 'Let's Monetize Those Pirates' 11 years 4 weeks ago #347978

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Exactly. Stop making the pirated product better than the legit one (which this latest dumb idea does). It should be the opposite. The more you can tie into online features (not just multiplayer, but all sorts of cool extras, NOT just DRM checks), the more incentives and value there'd be in a purchase.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

PCGA President: 'Let's Monetize Those Pirates' 11 years 4 weeks ago #347981

• Octocamo
  • Stage A - 1
So they'd probably make more money from the ads on pirated games than people actually buying the game. They probably secretly want us to pirate it instead to show their sponsors how much money they can make from ads.
PSN: solisnkXBL: OctocamoSteam: OctocamoOrigin + Battlelog: Octocamo

PCGA President: 'Let's Monetize Those Pirates' 11 years 4 weeks ago #347984

• eswat
  • Stage A - 1
I don't see how they can monetize off piraters though. People can crack TAGES, which alludes to a system like this, and remove ads from the current sponsored games with ease. This guy is on a high.