Forum

TOPIC: Star Wars Galaxies gameplay designer committed suicide at the age of 39

Star Wars Galaxies gameplay designer committed suicide at the age of 39 11 years 1 month ago #345430

• TigerClaw
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 3
Sad news for the gaming Gaming Industry. Jeff Freeman who was the lead designer for games such as Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies has died of an apparent suicide. source
Jeff Freeman, former Lead Gameplay Designer on Star Wars Galaxies, has tragically taken his own life.Freeman had previously worked at Spacetime Studios as well as on Ultima Online, but is best known for his stint on Star Wars Galaxies, where he was unfortunate enough to become the public face of the "New Game Enhancements" update, one of the most infamous debacles in MMOG history. In a story from June 2007, Allen Varney detailed how Freeman became the target of gamer rage over the NGE, even though his role in its development was minor.Despite the fact that he continued to suffer online abuse at the hands of Star Wars Galaxies players unhappy with the NGE changes even after leaving Sony Online Entertainment in late 2006, Freeman's brother clarified that his suicide had nothing to do with the game. "I want everyone to know that it was not SWG that led him to take his life," he said. "He has been troubled for some time. There were a lot of personal issues that tore at him."A memorial service will be held for Freeman in his hometown of Austin, Texas, on October 2. He was 39.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Star Wars Galaxies gameplay designer committed suicide at the age of 39 11 years 1 month ago #345432

Ultima Online for it's time was a huge step up in online gaming.And the original Star War's Galaxies had a lot of fans even if it was to complicated and difficult for everyone but the realy crazy MMO players, and star wars fans.Sad to see the guy go in such a horrible way.
[gamercard]JimPatrick[/gamercard]"The future changes as we stand here, else we are the game pieces of the gods, not their heirs, as we have been promised.""Tanis comes to me for advice, not because I am a seer. He comes because I am able to think, which is something most of these other fools seem incapable of doing."-Raistlin

Star Wars Galaxies gameplay designer committed suicide at the age of 39 11 years 1 month ago #345434

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
jamespatrick;345432 wrote:
Ultima Online for it's time was a huge step up in online gaming.And the original Star War's Galaxies had a lot of fans even if it was to complicated and difficult for everyone but the realy crazy MMO players, and star wars fans.Sad to see the guy go in such a horrible way.
actually they recently dumbed it down, like instead of spending a year with the right jobs you can become a jedi from the start
XBL: Neezie1990PSN: sillycoreSteam: Neezie3DS: 3737-9522-5541

Star Wars Galaxies gameplay designer committed suicide at the age of 39 11 years 1 month ago #345438

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
That defeats how awesome it is to a see a Jedi though. I loved the idea that you had to work your ass off to be a Jedi.

Star Wars Galaxies gameplay designer committed suicide at the age of 39 11 years 1 month ago #345439

• eswat
  • Stage A - 1
Never got a chance to play UO or SWG, but RIP dude.Also, isn't it a but unsettling to have this ad ride beside this story? http://imagec11.247realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/Warcry/esc_store_ron_box_indefinate/zp_assassin_bigbox2.png

Star Wars Galaxies gameplay designer committed suicide at the age of 39 11 years 1 month ago #345442

alexsan;345434 wrote:
actually they recently dumbed it down, like instead of spending a year with the right jobs you can become a jedi from the start
That's why I said original. I know they changed it and a lot of people hated it. And yeah. I remember reading in article somewhere that the first person became a Jedi in that game. It was like an event. I can understand them making it easier. Before the change a small group of people were jedi's. But they really did destroy that game by changing so much.
[gamercard]JimPatrick[/gamercard]"The future changes as we stand here, else we are the game pieces of the gods, not their heirs, as we have been promised.""Tanis comes to me for advice, not because I am a seer. He comes because I am able to think, which is something most of these other fools seem incapable of doing."-Raistlin

Star Wars Galaxies gameplay designer committed suicide at the age of 39 11 years 1 month ago #345443

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
eswat;345439 wrote:
Never got a chance to play UO or SWG, but RIP dude.Also, isn't it a but unsettling to have this ad ride beside this story? http://imagec11.247realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/Warcry/esc_store_ron_box_indefinate/zp_assassin_bigbox2.png
Random probably, but Yahtzee is a douche bag anyway.

Star Wars Galaxies gameplay designer committed suicide at the age of 39 11 years 1 month ago #345629

Token White Guy;345443 wrote:
Random probably, but Yahtzee is a douche bag anyway.
How did this thread turn into a Yahtzee bash?Yahtzee is fucking awesome btw.
Is your crotch on fire? WHAT!? Bensaki reports Burning Bush is delayed. ... What the hell is that?!