Forum

TOPIC: Monitor Halp?

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340482

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Yo yo yo, so my new PC should be arriving this next Thurs/Fri and that'll be all fun and stuff, but I won't have a new monitor for it. Now the monitor I have is some old HP, huge bulky monitor we've had since 2000 or so, and while its actually holding up surprisingly well, it's not handling the higher resolutions so well.So, I need a new monitor.Problem is, every monitor out there seems to either be good for games and movies or good for graphic design and editing. But,I need both.I've been looking at the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFPhttp://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-2408wfp/4505-3174_7-32886455.htmlThe CNet Review praised it, but I don't know how much that means, but it seems to get great editor reviews on different sites, across the board. But, like every other monitor I've looked at, the user reviews are mixed. Some love it, others hate it, some say it's ok.But this brings up some questions. I've heard that the 6ms response time isn't that bad. But response time and input lag are 2 different things, and that if you add on the input lag time to the 6ms, it becomes a lot worse and really bogs things down. So I have some questions:1. If I had a powerful enough computer, would input lag be virtually non-existant? That way I would literally have only 6ms response time to worry about? Or would input lag be there no matter my system specs?2. Is 6ms really that bad? I have this old HP monitor with seemingly instant response and thats fine and all, but I'm just curious about the truth of the 6ms response time in conjunction with gaming.and 3. Would this response time also affect gaming with my 360?I plan on using whatever monitor I get for gaming with my 360/PS3/Wii/PS2/PSP, what have you, along with it being my desktop monitor. So it's going to be used constantly, so this is just as important to me as the computer itself..So I just need some help, I'll post my system specs at the end to help with any questions I've asked and if anybody needs to know. But,To all GRAPHIC DESIGNERS, would this be a good monitor for near mac quality? I've heard things about static image quality and that's something extremely important to me.To all HARDCORE PC GAMERS, would this be a good monitor for PC and 360 gaming alike? Or would there be too much lag?Thanks to any and all help! I've been searching online like crazy and I have no idea what I'm doing anymore, and you were all a huge help with my PC that I figured I'd come back here for some more advice.edit: Almost forgot price range! Nothing higher than the $600 I can nab this Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP for.Here are my system specs:PSU: 650wattsProcessor: Intel Duo Cor E8400Mobo: [crossfire] Asus P5Q Pro IntelRAM: 4gigs (2gb x 2)GPU: Radeon 4870HDOS: Windows XP Home w/ Service Pack 2Sound Card: Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy SEAnd that's all that I can think of that would even relatively matter to the monitor.Thanks!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340585

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm using that monitor right now. I love it. Granted I haven't played any games on it yet (unless you count the Spore Creature Creator), but for everything else it's awesome. The colour calibration is excellent out of the box. I used a calibration device and it really didn't do much (where as when I used it on my TV in PC mode, it made it look almost as good as the Dell). I use it mainly for graphic design, and the only problem I have is that at the default brightness of 50, it's really, really bright in my room. That means I keep it at 20, but turn it back up to 50 when doing any design work (since that's where the colours are calibrated at). Also, you've probably read a lot of reviews that say the bottom edge has a very, very slight reddish hue to it. I've only seen that when my eyes are level with the top of the monitor and I look down. Even then it's hardly noticeable as it only covers the area where the taskbar is and it's more an issue of looking from the wrong angle than the monitor quality itself. Not a deal breaker by any means.Just make sure you get it on sale. I'm not sure what the American prices are, but it's regular $700 here and I got it for $600, which it goes down to on a fairly regular basis.(Edit) I do watch videos a lot on it, and I've not noticed any lag or response time issues. It's not as good as, say, a CRT, but no LCD is yet.

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340589

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Don't sweat the response time. Anyone whining about it on a modern LCD monitor is just being anal retentive and trying to justify hanging onto their bajillion pound Sony Trinitron CRT paperweight. The days of serious ghosting to the point where it truly affects gaming are long gone IMO.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340596

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Most definitely. I never even saw ghosting on my then-super-fast 12ms 17" Samsung from 4 years ago.

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340614

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Considering you're speaking as an actual user of the thing, I'll take your advice for it. But do you think you could download a game demo and it give a test run for me?I'm still a little paranoid about the response time, but you're giving me mucho hope.

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340647

Honestly, I don't think there is a better monitor near that price. I've seen that model before, and they're crystal clear. The 1920x1200 native resolution and 1300:1 contrast ratio is what really makes it special. The fact that it has a 6ms response time is negligible. I've seen ones with 15ms response and I still saw no ghosting (though I wasn't gaming). It's a safe bet to go with that Dell if you have the money for it.

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340658

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
I love you all for this, I'm so set on getting this now that I can't wait for it <33333333333333

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340662

• Octocamo
  • Stage A - 1
you can't spend $5 on audiosurf but you can buy this? FAIL.
PSN: solisnkXBL: OctocamoSteam: OctocamoOrigin + Battlelog: Octocamo

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340671

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
NOT YET, OCTO.and seriously. if a guy walked in your house and said "hey whats up the matrix, thats your name anyway whats up do you want a copy of audiosurf or this god of a monitor?"yeah, you'd totally pick audiosurf over it.

Monitor Halp? 11 years 2 months ago #340701

• Octocamo
  • Stage A - 1
I bought audiosurf for $10.gg, qq.
PSN: solisnkXBL: OctocamoSteam: OctocamoOrigin + Battlelog: Octocamo