Forum

TOPIC: Help with upgrading

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340555

Awesome, you have a PCI-Express slot. That means you get to save a load of money and have better performance! :DThe video cards you listed are basically a waste of money (no offense) since they're not in a performance series. You really don't want to have to buy another video card down the road for a rig like that to save $20. Grab an 8800GT and you will be set until you feel like buying a new computer. You could get something faster if you feel like spending $50+ more, but to be honest you would be bottle-necked by the rest of your PC. The 3800+ rocks, don't get me wrong. I used to have a 3700+ that I loved until I got a new rig; but you wouldn't see much of an improvement from the 8800GT to the HD4870 or something. The 8800GT will last you for a long time and make your computer seem like a brand new one while gaming. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340556

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
Gene Starwind;340555 wrote:
Awesome, you have a PCI-Express slot. That means you get to save a load of money and have better performance! :DThe video cards you listed are basically a waste of money (no offense) since they're not in a performance series. You really don't want to have to buy another video card down the road for a rig like that to save $20. Grab an 8800GT and you will be set until you feel like buying a new computer. You could get something faster if you feel like spending $50+ more, but to be honest you would be bottle-necked by the rest of your PC. The 3800+ rocks, don't get me wrong. I used to have a 3700+ that I loved until I got a new rig; but you wouldn't see much of an improvement from the 8800GT to the HD4870 or something. The 8800GT will last you for a long time and make your computer seem like a brand new one while gaming. :)
Awesome, thanks! My birthday is in a few days and now I know what to put on my list.
XBL: Neezie1990PSN: sillycoreSteam: Neezie3DS: 3737-9522-5541

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340561

• Funnydale
  • Level 8
Gene Starwind;340555 wrote:
Actually, I'm willing to bet that his power supply is too weak to support an 8800 GT as you'll need at least a 400 watt power supply for that card. Check your power supply (open the case and look at the power supply). If it's not at least 400 watt, then you might have to go for the 8600 GTS. (or buy a new Power Supply).

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340613

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
Funnydale;340561 wrote:
Actually, I'm willing to bet that his power supply is too weak to support an 8800 GT as you'll need at least a 400 watt power supply for that card. Check your power supply (open the case and look at the power supply). If it's not at least 400 watt, then you might have to go for the 8600 GTS. (or buy a new Power Supply).
I heard that my motherboard can't handle anything higher than 300, shit.here's the specs for my motherboard.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340618

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Sounds like it might be time for a new PC then :/ I saved 1400 over the course of 2 months or so to get my PC, if you're willing to do the same, I'd say the feeling is sooo worth it. And I don't even have the thing yet :P

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340624

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
Ezekiel;340618 wrote:
Sounds like it might be time for a new PC then :/ I saved 1400 over the course of 2 months or so to get my PC, if you're willing to do the same, I'd say the feeling is sooo worth it. And I don't even have the thing yet :P
I guess I'll have to wait until EA releases those mid range machines

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340746

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
I've been reading over my motherboard specs and it said that it can do ATX power supplies, and I did some research and I have this power supply. So I have 300, but how do I find out what I need for my machine with the 8800 GT? If I need more then I saw this on newegg.sorry to double post but I wanted to bump this.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340838

• Funnydale
  • Level 8
alexsan;340746 wrote:
I've been reading over my motherboard specs and it said that it can do ATX power supplies, and I did some research and I have this power supply. So I have 300, but how do I find out what I need for my machine with the 8800 GT? If I need more then I saw this on newegg.sorry to double post but I wanted to bump this.
Get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply You never want to go cheap on a -- or buy an unnamed brand -- power supply. With that supply, you'll have plenty of room to spare if you ever decide to upgrade to a better CPU and motherboard.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340858

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
Awesome, now I just need to find a RAM upgrade, what a decent brand? I was going to go with 2GB (2x1GB) of Corsair

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340907

That Antec power supply would be fine for you and has a good deal on it right now. You shouldn't go cheap on a PSU unless you like to gamble with your rig.G.Skill makes some nice RAM.OCZ has some that's a little more expensive but a little faster.