Forum

TOPIC: Help with upgrading

Help with upgrading 11 years 2 months ago #340434

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
Now that I know my computer is in desperate need of an upgrade I need help with some things. I know the card I want, a 8800 GT,but I need help with power supplys and my motherboard. I checked online (without opening my system) and found out I have this supply. Is it enough for the 8800 GT? Can I upgrade? What should I go for?
XBL: Neezie1990PSN: sillycoreSteam: Neezie3DS: 3737-9522-5541
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340439

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Can you be a little more specific? First, posting your specs would help, and maybe describe in detail what happens before and after they crash. Is there an error message?

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340445

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Defrag your harddrive? Update your drivers?I'm probably one of the last people to ask, but those are my 2 cents.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340446

• eswat
  • Stage A - 1
Yeah dude, we can't really offer much "useful" fixes without more details.I would have suggested to just reformat (a complete wipe is faster and easier than to troubleshoot and bandage up crap most of the time), but it would be nice if you can be more descriptive so that we can try to offer a more reasonable solution.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340479

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
I updated my drivers and now team fortress works, even though my PC can't run it smoothly at all. I really want a new computer, this one is just terrible and is already starting to die after a few years. I don't know many of the details but its a HP machine with 1GB ram, a integrated (whatever that means) nvidia geforce 6150, 3800+ AMD Athlon 64 processor and a 200GB hard drive.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340483

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Your PC really can't run TF2 smoothly at all? My current (read: shitty) PC is half the man your PC is, and yet it runs TF2 playable. Choppy and sometimes unplayable (can't play a single game of Gold Rush without it ending before the stuttering settles down), but playable for the most part.I've got 512mb RAM, a Radeon 9200 and a Pentium 4 processor, with about 8 gigs of HDD space left.Somethings up with your comp...hmmmm

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340488

Reason why he can't run TF2 and you can Ezekiel is because you have a 9200, his video card is integrated into his mobo.If you want to run TF2 decently alexsan, you're either going to have to buy a video card or a new computer. That simple. :)You have a decent rig outside of not having a video card, so you might as well invest the $60-100 into a decent one. Do you have an AGP or PCI-Express slot? If you don't know, what's the model of computer? You can find out what your motherboard supports through the HP website.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340490

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
Ezekiel;340483 wrote:
Your PC really can't run TF2 smoothly at all? My current (read: shitty) PC is half the man your PC is, and yet it runs TF2 playable. Choppy and sometimes unplayable (can't play a single game of Gold Rush without it ending before the stuttering settles down), but playable for the most part.I've got 512mb RAM, a Radeon 9200 and a Pentium 4 processor, with about 8 gigs of HDD space left.Somethings up with your comp...hmmmm
hmmmm I'll run a ton of virus scans and spyware scans tonight.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340507

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
alexsan;340490 wrote:
hmmmm I'll run a ton of virus scans and spyware scans tonight.
No need to.
Reason why he can't run TF2 and you can Ezekiel is because you have a 9200, his video card is integrated into his mobo.If you want to run TF2 decently alexsan, you're either going to have to buy a video card or a new computer. That simple.

Problems with running games 11 years 2 months ago #340550

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
Gene Starwind;340488 wrote:
Reason why he can't run TF2 and you can Ezekiel is because you have a 9200, his video card is integrated into his mobo.If you want to run TF2 decently alexsan, you're either going to have to buy a video card or a new computer. That simple. :)You have a decent rig outside of not having a video card, so you might as well invest the $60-100 into a decent one. Do you have an AGP or PCI-Express slot? If you don't know, what's the model of computer? You can find out what your motherboard supports through the HP website.
Oh that's great, I'll check into that. I'll still need help with what kind of card is great for my machine in a certain price range, thoughedit: I have no idea what any of this means so could someone help me please? link to the specsedit 2: I saw on the specs it says "expansion slots: PCI express/16" so I've looked at a few cards and I wanted some opinions on them.first cardsecond cardthird card