Forum

TOPIC: ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!!

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340940

• Octocamo
  • Stage A - 1
A real PC gamer builds his own frankenstein PC....
PSN: solisnkXBL: OctocamoSteam: OctocamoOrigin + Battlelog: Octocamo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340941

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Ezekiel;340939 wrote:
What bad stuff did you hear about them?And uh, according to the customer service guy I talked to last week, my 5 Business Day Rush that I ordered meant that it would be shipped to me within 5 days of my credit card being approved, and it got approved last Thursday, so going through the motions that means I should get it either tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday.But I just got an email saying that this morning, my parts were all gathered and it's being assembled today.Does that mean I have no chance of seeing this thing tomorrow or Friday? :( For how soon its being assembled and all?And as for my only dealings with ibuypower outside of the actual ordering so far, their customer service is pretty shitty. They have no people skills, except for like, one guy.
a lot of stuff.1. their current address is a vacant building for some reason2. their customer service is awful. If you have a faulty component you have to spend hours convincing support to send you a replacement3. The wiring is really bad. according to what I read most people have to unscrew the case and rewire shit.4. The BIOS configuration is retardedBasically you're paying for a computer that you have to spend a good 3-4 hours unscrewing, wiring, messing with bios configurations etc just to get the thing running with no huge problems. At least from what I have been told. That would really suck since I doubt it comes with the manuals for each specific part. Which means that if its your first time messing around with the inside of a computer you probably won't know what to do. Unfortunately I only heard about this after this thread was done. Otherwise I would have warned you. The only pre built gaming PC company ive heard good things about is VigorGaming.Hopefully yours won't be all fucked up. If it is though you can always get help here I'm sure.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340944

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Whenever I get it, I'll unscrew it, take some pictures and ask all of you fine gentlemen what all I can do to make the wiring better.What's a BIOS configuration though?edit: And I'm hoping my case is like other peoples ive heard of and they get the machine, turn it on and never have any problems.That's the future I wanna live in :|

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340947

• Rook
  • Level 6
Take those and every online review with a grain a salt. When I was shopping for a comp a few years back I was considering getting one from Ibuypower. There were people saying things about horrible tech support, parts being unplugged or glued in, etc. But you can experience all and more of these types of problems if you got it out of a box from Best Buy, or even if you're building your own and receive a dead part from Newegg. Some of the complainers could have just been very newbish about computers in general, and felt like writing a bad review cuz it took them an hour to find the 'on' button. Sure your baby will be fine.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340960

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Rook;340947 wrote:
Take those and every online review with a grain a salt. When I was shopping for a comp a few years back I was considering getting one from Ibuypower. There were people saying things about horrible tech support, parts being unplugged or glued in, etc. But you can experience all and more of these types of problems if you got it out of a box from Best Buy, or even if you're building your own and receive a dead part from Newegg. Some of the complainers could have just been very newbish about computers in general, and felt like writing a bad review cuz it took them an hour to find the 'on' button. Sure your baby will be fine.
Ive seen many more people complain about shit just not working from ibuypower because it was not hooked up correctly than I have ever heard about Dell, gateway etc. In fact Ive never heard that about a big PC manufacturers computers. Because if it does happen its so low that its irrelevant. I sincerely hope that ezekiel's computer turns out to be fine, but you cannot honestly sit there and say that ibuypower doesn't have problems or that the issues that everyone complains about are on the same level or happen as frequently as those with factory built PCs you would find in best buy. Because that's a lie. And you are correct that many issues such as faulty components and bad wiring could also happen if you're building the PC yourself. But when you're buying a pre built computer from a place like iBuyPower it's supposed to work right out of the box. You shouldn't have to open it up and do anything. That's the whole reason that people buy from there. If you have to spend time rewiring, hooking components back in, messing with the bios etc then what is the point of buying a prebuilt gaming pc from a place like ibuypower?Of course the complaints ive heard were from people who bought from there about 3 months ago so maybe they have their act together now.
Whenever I get it, I'll unscrew it, take some pictures and ask all of you fine gentlemen what all I can do to make the wiring better.
Well wait to see if it works first. If you turn it on and everything seems to be working correctly then I wouldn't worry about messing with anything.
What's a BIOS configuration though?
This is the BIOS Thats where you set everything up such as where to boot from(Hard drive, disc drive etc) when starting the computer. That kind of stuff is the only thing you should have to do in the bios unless you're gonna overclock or something.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340968

• Rook
  • Level 6
I know about some of the issues that people have had with Ibuypower. But he's already bought one from there, spent a good chunk of money and is excited about it, so I'm just trying to be reassuring. I don't wanna say, "Sorry dude, but your comp is gonna arrive looking like it was put together by Helen Keller." It may be very unlikely that's the case. Worst case scenario, something is wrong, and everyone can guide him through the process of getting it in tip-top shape. And I don't think Ibuypower is necessarily about high quality, but the fact that they put together decent rigs that are cheap.Funny you mention Gateway, cuz that's exactly what I bought lo' those many years ago. I read tons of reviews on Gateway, and quite a few people had their misgivings. But mine has run like a goddamn champ, and the only reason I'm considering a new comp in the future is that it's past its prime. So it goes without saying. I see where you're coming from,but buying anything is a gamble, whether its a carton of milk, or a new computer.When I do get a new comp later this year, if I'm not in the mood to build one of my own, then yes, I will purchase one from Ibuypower.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340972

Rook;340968 wrote:
When I do get a new comp later this year, if I'm not in the mood to build one of my own, then yes, I will purchase one from Ibuypower.
.......or from another skilled builder who guarantees his work.........just saying:smt037
[gamercard]Pendragoon99[/gamercard] [psnid]Pendragoon99[/psnid]

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340979

• Rook
  • Level 6
Pendragoon99;340972 wrote:
.......or from another skilled builder who guarantees his work.........just saying:smt037
Leaning towards building my own, but if not I'll hook you up! :)I'm not sure what Ezekiel is planning on doing with his older comp, or what his level of computer know-how is. But an older computer you really don't give a shit about is a great learning tool. Crack it open, find out where everything goes, overclock/tweak it til it sets on fire, whatever. Still remember the first computer I ever used. Didn't know a damn thing about computers when I first started using it, but by the time I retired it, I had done things to it that were illegal in 15 states.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340982

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
It's a family computer so the only thing I'll be doing is clearing off all of my data from it and transferring it to my new one.And I appreciate the optimism, but I prefer honesty to sugar coating :PBut here's to hoping. I'm actually more worried about actually getting it this week. But I paid for that 5 day Rush delivery, so if I don't get it this week, I'm bitching a stooooorm.As in, every free second I have will be me clogging up their customer service lines until I'm compensated 50 dollars.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340984

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Your order has passed IQC. It is ready to Burn-In Test.
I just got this in another status update email. Apparently its all pieced together, but I have no idea what IQC or a Burn-In Test is. I'm guessing IQC is some kind of inspection and Burn-In Test is...... i.... don't know?