Forum

TOPIC: ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!!

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338150

Funnydale;338094 wrote:
If you're adamant about using XP, then you might as well just get 2-gigs of memory, as 95% of XP user's will never need more than that.
Totally not true. 32bit XP only has the ability to use around 3.5GB, but it does make a huge difference.quashpdarkman;338118 wrote:
all of this, and i would personally splurge the extra $20 for a q6600. when you eventually get vista you'll be glad you did.
It would actually be a slight downgrade in terms of gaming, plus it runs hotter. The E8400 is very powerful, and since most apps don't use all 4 cores (most of the time not even 2), getting a quad core isn't really necessary. It really depends on what you're doing. If you're an engineer, get a quad core. If you're a gamer, get the duo.It's $63 more to go from the 9800 to the 4870, thought it was more for some reason. It's definitely worth it. Just get the P5Q mobo to go with it and a better PSU if you want to crossfire later. I'd recommend the Corsair CMPSU-650TX. That thing is a beast.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338193

Gene Starwind;338150 wrote:
It would actually be a slight downgrade in terms of gaming, plus it runs hotter. The E8400 is very powerful, and since most apps don't use all 4 cores (most of the time not even 2), getting a quad core isn't really necessary. It really depends on what you're doing. If you're an engineer, get a quad core. If you're a gamer, get the duo.
you're right, but who knows how much longer it'll be before games jump on the threaded apps bandwagon.then again, he could always just get a quad core when that happens.as for the video card, it didn't even occur to me that the 4870 was out yet. in that case, it'd be worth it to crossfire two of those if you really want dual gpu's.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338234

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
this thread went better than i could have imagined.im huge on graphic design and ever since ive had too many people point out too many things wrong with my photoshop works that i couldnt even see on this 8 year old monitor, i definitely need something top of line. plus I plan on using it for HD gaming in my room with my 360 and eventual PS3, gonna try and record myself playing them too.and whats funny, GH33DA, is that the monitor you posted, the one for 600 bucks? thats the exact same model im buying. im not skimping on the monitor.but i soaked in all of your advice, chopped the harddrive down to 500gb for now to keep it under 1,400 bucks, but i think I'm all set to do some Crossfire later down the line when I feel like buying another Radeon 4870.http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/Store/Configurator.aspx?mid=119&c=1417900This look good fellas?Thanks for all the advice you've been dishing out by the way, it's been more than fantastic.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338342

much better than your first build. i say go for it.i'll assume you have no experience with water cooling for a minute, and if that's the case let me recommend two things:1. when you first get it, flush the system with distilled water. this will get rid of any particles inside the tubes and prevent any problems from occuring (and this is actually easier than it sounds).2. replace the coolant once every year. it might sound obvious, but i've known people who have neglected to do this and have regretted doing so.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338821

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
i'll have to look into that cooling stuff to figure out exactly what you mean :P but thanks for the heads up.and i have one last question. that monitor i posted has a million hookups in the back, so i can use it for gaming with my 360. my question is though, could i use fraps to record it? would fraps record whatever is currently displayed on my monitor or just what my desktop currently is on my computer?

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338881

FRAPS is only what's going on on your PC. Sadly. But if you find some way to route your consoles through your computer and have the game running in a window on your computer, you could record like that easily.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #339112

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Damn, well my card has video out or whatever, so while it might not be HD, I think i'll have something maybe?We'll see, I can always buy a video card down the line.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340712

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Be sure to tell us how your experience with ibuypower is. I recently heard some really bad stuff about them.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340714

Ezekiel;339112 wrote:
Damn, well my card has video out or whatever, so while it might not be HD, I think i'll have something maybe?We'll see, I can always buy a video card down the line.
Video out = good for putting your PC games on a monitor/HDTVVideo in = good for making your consoles/dvds/etc. display through your computerAnd anything from the past 7 years is considered HD by todays standards on PC, man. 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are old as dirt, and they're close to today's standard "720p" resolution (1280x720).
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 3 months ago #340939

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Nut_Man;340712 wrote:
Be sure to tell us how your experience with ibuypower is. I recently heard some really bad stuff about them.
What bad stuff did you hear about them?And uh, according to the customer service guy I talked to last week, my 5 Business Day Rush that I ordered meant that it would be shipped to me within 5 days of my credit card being approved, and it got approved last Thursday, so going through the motions that means I should get it either tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday.But I just got an email saying that this morning, my parts were all gathered and it's being assembled today.Does that mean I have no chance of seeing this thing tomorrow or Friday? :( For how soon its being assembled and all?And as for my only dealings with ibuypower outside of the actual ordering so far, their customer service is pretty shitty. They have no people skills, except for like, one guy.