Forum

TOPIC: ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!!

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338073

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
This is extremely important for me. First, the link. Which I'll try to update daily as I think it expires after a certain amount of time.http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/Store/Configurator.aspx?mid=119&c=1417044I have this all written down, but here are the things I know I want.
  • 4gigs of Ram (2x 2gig sticks)
  • 2x 8800GT's running in SLi
  • XP Home
  • Intel Core Duo processor
  • at least 1 500gb harddrive
  • the 12 in 1 media reader
  • a good net card (not sure about that Intel one but it sounds decent enough)
Just need to know if this looks like a good layout to you guys. Just want a nice, beefy PC (currently on a Radeon 9200 atm..... 512mb ram.....) but I want to make sure it's going to run well.Some Q's: One big, final note. It HAS to be less than $1,400 bucks. So it can't be that much, or any higher. Has to be 1,399 or below please!Specifically looking for mr. elusive, innerlogic, The Matrix, Gh33da and others to jump in here, but any and ALL help is appreciated.I'm fucking pumped to get this all set and ready for ordering. Thanks for any help!!Edit: FINAL BUY: http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/Store/Configurator.aspx?mid=119&c=1417900 (i think)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338086

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
As far as monitors go... ideally you want 5ms, but anything under 8 should be good. Since you're buying it from that site i assume they won't give you shit PSUs so im sure that 600w PSU is fine. Most people shouldn't be putting out more than 500w anyway.Btw, you're not paying $600 for that monitor right? For a 24 in monitor thats a bit too much...

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338090

Congrats on getting a new rig. To answer your questions; yes, 600 watts is more than enough, the bigger worry is if it's a shitcan PSU. Asus is alright most of the time from my experience. Their support is decent on their products, which I can't say for a lot of companies. Yes, cooling is very important, especially when over clocking.I'm not sure why you would want 2 8800GTs in SLI when you can get a 9800GTX+ and have near the same performance and have room to upgrade in the future by getting another to SLI them. If you're not interested in messing with the internals, you should still do it anyway. Video card installation is probably the most simple task outside of cleaning it. Also, you really don't need a dedicated network card if you have a decent onboard one.Here's some changes I'd personally make to your build;Cooling to Extreme-Performance INTEL CPU Cooling Fan System Kit (or the Thermaltake V1 if you want to overclock), motherboard to Asus P5N-D (newer chipset's worth it), video card to one 9800GTX+, and network card to on-board.That'll put you at $1271, which leaves you an extra $100. Use that on maybe upgrading to a 1TB hard drive, an X-Fi sound card, surround sound system, or $100 in your pocket. Whatever you choose, it's up to you, it's your choice in the end anyway. This is just what I think to be best for the money.Oh, and you might want to get your CD/DVD drive in black. Saves you $9 and the internal faceplate of the case you chose is in black, so it matches better. :)

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338094

• Funnydale
  • Level 8
Here...http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/Store/Configurator.aspx?mid=119&c=1417044Replaced the sli 8800 Gt's (which is a waste of money IMO) with a Radeon 4870 HD.Also, replaced the nforce board with an Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 crossfire board (In case you want to add another videocard later)Upped the Power Supply to 650W in case you want to add a second 4870HD later.Also, I took out the second harddrive and upgraded the first one to 750GB.Also, I added the 64-bit version of Vista Premium, because you'll need that if you want to be able to use all 4-gigs of that memory.If you're adamant about using XP, then you might as well just get 2-gigs of memory, as 95% of XP user's will never need more than that.Total: 1376 dollars.Also, I would never spend 600 bucks on a monitor. Hell, a decent 22-inch monitor shouldn't set you back more than 250 bucks-or-so.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338116

• GH33DA
  • Stage A - 1
Sorry, I missed this yesterday...I'm on my way out the door but I'll throw in a few comments for now.Monitor suggestion: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6095I don't really know what options you need, but, I've own a dell 24" for 3 years and it's been flawless. I did buy the higher end 24" though. ( http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6272 )Leave the 4GBs NO MATTER WHAT OS you use! Photoshop will use as much of it as it can. (something like 3.5GB)As far as video cards, ATI cards are cheaper right now. But, traditionally I've seen problems with the drivers. THat being said, the 8 series in SLi running DX10 isn't the best performance. So, if you think that might be something you want, check out the 9 series.Also, I'd recommend two drives and a dual boot. you don't have to get Vista right now, just throw Linux on it or something. That way, when you're "forced" to Vista, you can make the move without losing any data.Sorry, I couldn't spend more time on this...maybe later.
Valleys Of NeptuneBuckFarack187;366915 wrote:
I don\'t even know why I still try.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338118

Gene Starwind;338090 wrote:
Here's some changes I'd personally make to your build;Cooling to Extreme-Performance INTEL CPU Cooling Fan System Kit (or the Thermaltake V1 if you want to overclock), motherboard to Asus P5N-D (newer chipset's worth it), video card to one 9800GTX+, and network card to on-board.That'll put you at $1271, which leaves you an extra $100. Use that on maybe upgrading to a 1TB hard drive, an X-Fi sound card, surround sound system, or $100 in your pocket. Whatever you choose, it's up to you, it's your choice in the end anyway. This is just what I think to be best for the money.Oh, and you might want to get your CD/DVD drive in black. Saves you $9 and the internal faceplate of the case you chose is in black, so it matches better. :)
all of this, and i would personally splurge the extra $20 for a q6600. when you eventually get vista you'll be glad you did.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338119

• Octocamo
  • Stage A - 1
Get the ATI 4870. I would've spent more on a video card but I only paid $85 for my ATI 4850 (hax!) due to a giftcard and a 12% off coupon. definitely get 4GB of ram, gskill is awesome and cheap, but ram prices went back up since june I think. If not, get some corsair.I get to use all 4gb of my ram on vista 32 bit, but that's after the service pack I think. Vista isn't really bad, some things are annoying but it's pretty slick and feels just like XP to me.Buy.com usually has some bad ass prices on monitors, I got a 22" Acer widescreen for $230 a year ago, 22" can be found for under $200 now. Always check http://slickdeals.net/, they usually have some good deals. Search the forum for create your own AMD/intel computer thread for some good info too.600W should be enough, idk how much SLI takes. I have a 550 and it runs everything stable and it's near silent. Don't cheap out on a PSU, it'll end up dying. I've gone through about 3 psu's that were under $50. if you spend money on good parts for performance, definitely dont be a cheap ass on the PSU.Most mobos are good, just read the reviews and make sure all the parts are compatible.Extra fans are always a good idea if they're pointed to work together not against (blowing hot air back into another fan, etc.Recycle parts. If your stuff is still good, such as optical drives and harddrives, and you don't care about your current PC, recycle it into your new PC to save some money.You can get a slower quad or a faster dual core. Dual core is more for gaming I think for now, quad core is for encoding shit. but the e8400 does a pretty damn good job at both.
PSN: solisnkXBL: OctocamoSteam: OctocamoOrigin + Battlelog: Octocamo

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338133

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Alright, I'll get to responding to all of these after work today (gotta head out the door right now basically) but one question I have is what are the specs of a 9800GTX+ vs. a 4870 HD?Just which one is better overall. And with the 2 8800GT's in SLi, a friend of a friend was able to have Crysis maxed out (without DX10, XP and all) 4x AA and all that jazz with 40fps. I want to have at least that sort of quality. So can the 9800GTX+ or 4870 HD do that?Just need a quick rundown, I'll respond to the other comments when I get back but thanks for the AWESOME responses guys! This is helping a shitload.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338135

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Techreport tests the HD4870They also tested other games with it and you can see those by scrolling to the bottom and selecting the other pages. The 4870 looks to be as good if not slightly better than the GTX 260 which is more expensive.

ATTN: IMPORTANT!!! Getting new PC next week. Need some opinions!! 11 years 4 months ago #338136

• Spilner
  • Level 10
Stick with the 4870 no question. And if I were you, I would go ahead and get two 4870s and XF them, get the mobo Funnydale was talking about and you'll be in business. The price per performance will be bar none to anything nVidia has at the moment.
Metal Gear Solid 4: GOTP -- Tactical Espionage ActionMetal Gear -- 20 Years of Service & Entertainmentコナミ株式会社©