Forum

TOPIC: Rage

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287224

• eswat
  • Stage A - 1
SageClaw;287212 wrote:
I wouldn't call it id hate on my part. Don't hate them, not particularly fond of them lately but certainly don't hate them. What I do hate is all this "Ohhhh look at us! Look at what we are doing next! It's going to turn the gaming world on it's ass!" and it's the same crap we have seen time and time and time and time again in one form or another in a shiny new wrapper.Look it's an FPS but now with racing!Just shoot me now.EDIT: And you know what, I expect more from id. It's not like they are freaking new to this business. I could understand if they were a fresh new startup that they make crap like this but damn.
I think people expect way too much from id, and just won't let go of their prejudices against them. They are not going to make a Deus Ex or BioShock any time soon, and may never will. That's not what they do.I actually enjoyed Doom 3 and Quake 4 (mind you id wasn't the dev for that), because I accepted those games for what they are. Run and gun shooters where you can turn your brain off. There's plenty of other companies out there that will give you the "ground-breaking" FPS experience.EDIT: I also feel id isn't arrogant about their game announcements, at least not with Rage. Heck, they haven't even updated their website with the announcement of Rage, let alone give a lot of details yet. id has a lot of other projects on their plate as well. If thei crusade against Vista/Direct X 10, backing for Mac gaming, Quake Arena for XBLA, Quake 3: Arena for a web browser, and Wolfenstein movie project don't impress you (not SageClaw specifically), then I'm at a lost for words.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287234

• GH33DA
  • Stage A - 1
id has said they make fun shooters and that's all they doThey USED to brag about their game engines, but, that hasn't happened in 8 years.And most of the games you think are id games are actually not.
Valleys Of NeptuneBuckFarack187;366915 wrote:
I don\'t even know why I still try.

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287236

Wrong topic. I thught this was about the obsure Avengers super hero from the 90's. :D
Behold, the Death\'s Hand.

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287237

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Apple is jumping all over this, but the first part of the video looks like the dude from Water World.

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287254

• SageClaw
  • Stage B - 3
Mr. Elusive and GH33DA, unfortunatly for me... heh.. my comment wasn't directly pointed at id per say (sp?). I am just getting tired of all the announcements of games that just make me want to take a nap. Rage just happen to be the latest one so id got the brunt of it all. However, it may not be id's fault in the comming months when I can't pick up a magazine or open a gaming website and hear about how they added another "feature" to this title but it's still going to be there and it's still going to be annoying as hell.Oh and as far as engine work and stuff they are doing outside making new games, I agree with you, that is impressive but that wasn't what I was talking about (even though that wasn't specifically for me. : )EDIT: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/04/video-walk-through-of-ids-tech-5-with-john-carmack/
"Well if I knew what I was talking about do you really think I would waste it on an Internet Forum?" SageClaw

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287256

• FmLuder
  • Level 6
RAGE will probably be good - Carmack does know what he is doing. And I am sure he must have realized that the Doom 3 engine was pretty decent in enclosed areas - but dreadful outside.The driving in Quake 4 was HORRIBLE.I have loved the various iterations of Quake and Doom and never cared very much about their 'stories'.Apparently the tools for the Tech 5 engine are very impressive for third parties - so it should be very interesting to see if devs and publishers move over from the 'maligned' UE3.

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287269

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm just glad they aren't pushing DX10/Vista for the mere sake of it. Plus at least they're trying something at least a little different for them. I've kind of given up on id doing anything revolutionary gameplay-wise, though. At least they don't totally botch what they do right in the process.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287274

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
They're bringing quake arena to xbla? Sweet, I like id a lil now.

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287288

ErdeKaiser;287274 wrote:
Uh, how about that Q3A on DS?!
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

Rage 12 years 2 months ago #287347

• exhale
  • Level 1
ErdeKaiser;287274 wrote:
For me personally, to this day, Quake 3 is the best game ever made. (and i started gaming in the arcades, a little while before the NES/Master System era). To me it had the most fun physics, weapon-feel etc of any FPS ever. I played ctf to death, then switched to Rocket Arena (best mod ever :) ). Unfortunately the Quake community died, and all that is left is some hardcore. And not to many picked up Q4 :( Although the MP had the same feel as Q3. I guess people just moved on, and can't be bothered with this kind of fps. They want WW2 :p lol. Anyway, to come to my point, it is impossible to get the same feel with a controller on this game. Not in a million years. I want to see the first controller guy doing a combined grenade & rocket jump, pull out his railgun and put a slug in an enemy across the map, to switch back to the rocket launcher and kill the fodder waiting at the landing spot :) Might be possible, but won't be half as fun.. That's why I like the idea of UT3 being playable with kb&mouse on ps3, good move if they go through with it. I just can't be bothered any longer to pay $2k for a gaming rig when my 360 can do practically the same for a fifth of the price.. /cry I want to return to the Q3A golden age...