Forum

TOPIC: Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports.

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230870

• black_boy
  • Level 3
Wow, I was about to say I'm surprised at the general tenor of comments on this thread, but then I remembered that this is allgames and I should only pay attention to Bobby...That having been said, let's look at this from a pro-nintendo p.o.v....launching the console in the US...because the US will be a harder sell, so they want to start early and with a good value. I say that because the Japanese, i.e., their original thinking on the concept, have to pay for Wii Sports, and, to drive the price a bit higher, and increase the perceived value of the system, a standard controller and nunchuk attachment are included. Items that will retail for about $50 included in the box, so the system without will probably sell for $199....charge extra for extra controllers, because we deserve/demand two controllers with our system, unlike any other console... Let's look at this way, if the naysayers had their way, the Wii would cost $200, come with two controllers, have free downloadable demos, HD quality graphics and at least a 20GB hard drive included. (Oh, and Scot, yes, you can compare 10-minute demos of games to a collection of 5 complete multiplayer games, you'll look stupid doing so, but you can make the comparison.) So, let's re-valuate this system. A standard controller at $20, and a nunchuk for $10 (I'm assuming that's what they want), a $30 game, $20 component cable (is the one for $40 at Best Buy by microsoft correct? I just took half the price of that one), heck, I'll just pass on the hard drive comment, although it would probably be valued at around $15. That's $80 in stuff, making the console $120. Do you really want the $120 console. No. Americans would believe that it isn't worth the money. They would never buy it.And, performance. I realise it's a lot of text, but reading is good for you.http://wii.nintendo.com/iwata_asks_vol1_p1.htmlHere, the console developers explain the ideology behind the console. Basically, they spent their money and time in semiconductor development not to quintuple processing power (and increasing power consumption by an even greater factor, because it's not a 1 to 1 direct relationship), but in decreasing power consumption, with the greatest processing power increase. There will never be an overheating issue with the Wii, that is its technological marvel. Play your Wii for a month and then play your 360(PS2, Gamecube) for a month and then note the difference in your electricity bill. Part of the core concept is to use the advances in technology to create a system that can be left on constantly with minimal power consumption.Now the anti-Nintendo argument:Well, I guess depending on your point of view, that could be the opposing argument as well. If anything, the controllers could be priced less, but then we don't see them as having worth.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230873

I'm not at all concerned. My brother is buying everything. But this did get me a hell of a lot more excited! Whichever cool games my brother doesn't buy, I will. Actually...this would be great for a dorm, so I'll probably get one for myself next year.

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230885

• mike101
  • Level 2
In my area used NES titles go anywhere from 99 cents to 3 dollars. So 5 bucks isn't so bad. I also don't really have to worry about my Wii breaking anytime soon which is something you would have to worry about if you're playing on an original NES. They don't last forever people. I'm not going to include emulation in my argument because it is illegal and I'm only going to talk about legal ways of obtaining games.
Listen to my podcast at:www.lenaweetech.mypodcast.com

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230889

• The_Raven
  • Stage A - 2
The controllers are pretty expensive, but this is the deal. You get one free controller and nun-chuck. There's a mini-game (Wii-Sports Like) videogame coming out made by Nintendo as well which will contain Duck Hunt, ping pong, etc. THAT game is suppose to come with a FREE Wii-Controller. In that case all you'll need to do is get a nun-chuck for it if you need to.But I don't plan on getting more than 2 controllers to be honest. With Mii using the controller to save all the players you create, I think my friends would want to bring over their own controller so they can have all their players on it, etc.And Thank GOD Wii-Sports has Boxing in it. That's what I've been praying for. No need to go to the arcade for Mo-Cap boxing anymore, I can "work out" in my own house now.Edit: http://gonintendo.com/?p=5599 (Conference Videos)

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230899

• True
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 8
Funnydale wrote:
The 179 price was just my personal opinion to what the console should be worth. I haven't seen any games that really look that much better than a Gamecube.The fact that the Wii includes Wii Sports doesn't mean shit to me, as I have no interest in the game whatsoever. And besides, the Xbox 360 does include Hexen for free.(which to be honest, is a game I would rather play than Wii Sports, but that's just my opinion.) And I'm sure that a Wiimote controller probably costs Nintendo around the same amount of money to make, as it costs Microsoft to make a 20 gig harddrive.EDIT: And actually, I wanted to throw this out.I'm not complaining that the Wii is graphically inferior to the other next generation systems. What I am complaining about, is that Nintendo is charging 250 dollars to what amounts to a slightly more powerful Gamecube,(and from what I have seen so far, I have yet to be totally convinced of that) with a controller that has yet to show off a game that truly convinces me that controller would work a lot better than either a regular console controller, or a Mouse and a keyboard for that matter. Maybe when Nintendo shows off that game(as I am sure that they eventually will) Then I would be more excited about the Wii. But so far, I am not impressed with the tacked on Zelda control. Not to mention the generic 3rd party games whose only difference from the 360/PS3 version, is the fact that you get to wave the Wiimote around like a 3D mouse. Thats not enough of a reason for me to play the Wii version, over the 360/PS3 version, which will have much more immersive graphics.My real fear about the Wii, is that you will see a lot of crappy ports of 360/PS3 games that will have butchered graphics, and generic implementation of the Wiimote. That is a potential nightmare scenario for the Wii. 3rd party games that look like shit compared to the competition, with only a generic implementation of the Wii control.One more thing, what is with all this weather and web browsing crap? Why would I do that on my Wii connected to a TV at 480P, when I can do that right now on my computer hooked up to a High resolution monitor? If Nintendo is only focusing on the games, then why are they wasting time on this crap?
Holy Negative attitude Batman!
"Leave Luck to Heaven"- Nintendo

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230901

• Green
  • Stage A - 3
Burr covered the two points I was going to bring up.I will say that I was considering getting one for my nephews for Christmas, but I think I'll probably wait until their birthdays (March) or maybe next Christmas.
the other lesbian

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230904

Do we know officially what kind of flash memory it takes?
"It's like they deep fried delicious goodness and squared it... into a triangle." (BloodShotRobot, PAX08 )
"[Optimus] Prime is like Jack Bauer without all the issues" (Redmond, AGI Episode 211)

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230906

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
preorders at EB start november 1st so yay. YES I have $448.28 to spend on the Wii when it comes out
XBL: Neezie1990PSN: sillycoreSteam: Neezie3DS: 3737-9522-5541

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230907

• Rayo
  • Stage A - 1
Its not even that much of a stretch. I'm only buying what I need, and what I want, and if I need more in the future, and I feel its worth it i'll pay for it.Simple as that. For I am a gamer, I don't care about Nintendo's mass market plan, nor do I care whose gonna drop what in the future. I just wanna stomp on goombas and shoot things.
[gamercard]Sir Rayo[/gamercard]

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 12 years 11 months ago #230916

• mike101
  • Level 2
Digital*Firefly wrote:
Do we know officially what kind of flash memory it takes?
I think it was SD cards. You also have 512MB flash memory in the system.
Listen to my podcast at:www.lenaweetech.mypodcast.com