Forum

TOPIC: Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports.

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230837

• Regole
  • Stage A - 1
I really don't care about anything online at the moment too much except for PC games, Halo 2, and Uno.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230841

Digital*Firefly wrote:
Thank God it's coming out on a Sunday and I don't have to take off from work to stand in line. Anyone see it selling out? Gamecubes were plentiful at launch.
1-I think nintendo will have its production department in line2-It does have a better chance than the PS3. :)

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230846

• Funnydale
  • Level 8
Sorry, I'm not going to kiss Nintendo's ass here. This whole plan stinks. Nintendo is just asking Microsoft to drop the 360 core system to 250-229. If they do, so much for the Wii being the cheapest system. And before people say that no one is going to want the 360 core, I bet that at 250-229, moms and dads, as well as casual gamers are going to be more attracted to the core system at that price, especially if Microsoft included a memory card.Also, Nintendo has been hyping the Wii as the system that you play with your friends, so they included a copy of Wii Sports. But lets face it, with only one Wiimote included with the system. Wii Sports is really nothing more than a novelty that will collect dust the minute 2 days after you put that game in the system. In order play Wii Sports with your friends, you will have to buy at least 1, and maybe 2 extra Wiimote controllers, and at 60 bucks, suddenly, that 250 dollar system starts to add up to 380 bucks. Also, if you don't have WiFi,(like the vat majority of Internet users) you are going to have to pay for some type of adaptor, which is probably going to cost around 30 bucks. Also, if you want your Wii games to look decent, you are probably going to have to pay around 60 bucks for a component cable.(that is, if one isn't already included with the system) Wii System: 250Wimote + Nunchaku = 60Adaptor if you don't have WiFi = probably 30 bucksComponent cables = 60Total cost = over 400 dollars.Suddenly, the system that should have cost cost me 179 dollars, is now going to cost me over 400 bucks, and that doesnt include the extra games, which will put the cost up to near 500 dollars.400 dollars for a console that is basically an overclocked Gamecube. Suddenly, this doesnt sound like such a great deal. And after seeing some screenshots of Wii Sports, I sometimes wonder if the Wii is even that. Good God, I realize that Nintendo isn't focusing on graphics, but I've seen Sega Saturn games that looked better than Wii Sports.

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230847

• Blackwolf
  • Stage A - 1
First thing, please describe why you believe the Wii should only cost you $179. Do not cite internet blogs who sat there for months and speculated with limited or misinterpreted "knowledge".But yeah, $400 for a console with a game (that is a compilation of five games, apparently), two controllers, and the BS wired ethernet port (I agree with you on that one) is a lot worse than $400 for a console with no games and one controller.EDIT: And actually, I wanted to throw this out.Let's say Nintendo wisened up and decided that graphics really do mean everything, and they postpone the Wii launch to add Xbox 360-like graphics capability.So, now we have a Wii with the Wii gameplay (same controller, etc) but now with Xbox 360 like graphics.How much extra would you be willing to pay for the extra graphics? Would you pay $400 for a Wii with Xbox 360 graphics? How much do graphics *really* mean to you? This is a serious question, and I'm interested to hear your answer.
"Blackwolf tends to offend the same people all the time, he\'s got such a pattern it\'s almost funny. The whole spammer/think I\'m smart/argueing for arguement\'s sake clan tends to always end up at odds with Blackwolf." -BamBam

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230850

• agn
  • Administrator
I would say that if you bought a 360 today, you could download so many free games and demos that it automatically cancels out the wii sports pack in IMO.The amount of content that marketplace offers at no additional cost (demos, trials, etc.) make the 360 a better value proposition. IMO it's the same as sony, you want the wii because of nintendo games, that's really not a price issue since you can't play Mario, Zelda, or any other nintendo greats on any other platform.
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230855

• InnerLogic
  • Stage A - 1
$250? That's not too bad, but looking at the system + the cost of the controllers and a Non-Tech demo game, I would rather save that money and put it toward an HDTV (which I am doing right now :-D)The virtual console price list made me laugh though, $5 for a NES game? HA.Nintendo is competing with "Free" (Emulation scene, which is illegal if one does not rip there own game roms), and $5+ for these games probably won't get many emulation/nostalgia fans into the fold. I would think a subscription service ALA Gametap would make more sense, but hey, that's me :cool:.

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230856

has anyone realised you don't even need the nunchuck attachment for most games? jesus..everyones just using that to bitch about the pricebut yes, i laughed at the price of the VC games. i guess they looked at how much most NES games actually sell for in real life :\
- six years and counting, damn -

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230863

• Funnydale
  • Level 8
Blackwolf wrote:
First thing, please describe why you believe the Wii should only cost you $179. Do not cite internet blogs who sat there for months and speculated with limited or misinterpreted "knowledge".
The 179 price was just my personal opinion to what the console should be worth. I haven't seen any games that really look that much better than a Gamecube.Blackwolf wrote:
But yeah, $400 for a console with a game (that is a compilation of five games, apparently), two controllers, and the BS wired ethernet port (I agree with you on that one) is a lot worse than $400 for a console with no games and one controller.
The fact that the Wii includes Wii Sports doesn't mean shit to me, as I have no interest in the game whatsoever. And besides, the Xbox 360 does include Hexen for free.(which to be honest, is a game I would rather play than Wii Sports, but that's just my opinion.) And I'm sure that a Wiimote controller probably costs Nintendo around the same amount of money to make, as it costs Microsoft to make a 20 gig harddrive.EDIT: And actually, I wanted to throw this out.Blackwolf wrote:
Let's say Nintendo wisened up and decided that graphics really do mean everything, and they postpone the Wii launch to add Xbox 360-like graphics capability.So, now we have a Wii with the Wii gameplay (same controller, etc) but now with Xbox 360 like graphics.How much extra would you be willing to pay for the extra graphics? Would you pay $400 for a Wii with Xbox 360 graphics? How much do graphics *really* mean to you? This is a serious question, and I'm interested to hear your answer.
I'm not complaining that the Wii is graphically inferior to the other next generation systems. What I am complaining about, is that Nintendo is charging 250 dollars to what amounts to a slightly more powerful Gamecube,(and from what I have seen so far, I have yet to be totally convinced of that) with a controller that has yet to show off a game that truly convinces me that controller would work a lot better than either a regular console controller, or a Mouse and a keyboard for that matter. Maybe when Nintendo shows off that game(as I am sure that they eventually will) Then I would be more excited about the Wii. But so far, I am not impressed with the tacked on Zelda control. Not to mention the generic 3rd party games whose only difference from the 360/PS3 version, is the fact that you get to wave the Wiimote around like a 3D mouse. Thats not enough of a reason for me to play the Wii version, over the 360/PS3 version, which will have much more immersive graphics.My real fear about the Wii, is that you will see a lot of crappy ports of 360/PS3 games that will have butchered graphics, and generic implementation of the Wiimote. That is a potential nightmare scenario for the Wii. 3rd party games that look like shit compared to the competition, with only a generic implementation of the Wii control.One more thing, what is with all this weather and web browsing crap? Why would I do that on my Wii connected to a TV at 480P, when I can do that right now on my computer hooked up to a High resolution monitor? If Nintendo is only focusing on the games, then why are they wasting time on this crap?

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230866

• Mayor Young
  • Administrator
Funnydale wrote:
I'm not complaining that the Wii is graphically inferior to the other next generation systems. What I am complaining about, is that Nintendo is charging 250 dollars to what amounts to a slightly more powerful Gamecube,(and from what I have seen so far, I have yet to be totally convinced of that) with a controller that has yet to show off a game that truly convinces me that controller would work a lot better than either a regular console controller, or a Mouse and a keyboard for that matter. Maybe when Nintendo shows off that game(as I am sure that they eventually will) Then I would be more excited about the Wii. But so far, I am not impressed with the tacked on Zelda control. Not to mention the generic 3rd party games whose only difference from the 360/PS3 version, is the fact that you get to wave the Wiimote around like a 3D mouse. Thats not enough of a reason for me to play the Wii version, over the 360/PS3 version, which will have much more immersive graphics.My real fear about the Wii, is that you will see a lot of crappy ports of 360/PS3 games that will have butchered graphics, and generic implementation of the Wiimote. That is a potential nightmare scenario for the Wii. 3rd party games that look like shit compared to the competition, with only a generic implementation of the Wii control.One more thing, what is with all this weather and web browsing crap? Why would I do that on my Wii connected to a TV at 480P, when I can do that right now on my computer hooked up to a High resolution monitor? If Nintendo is only focusing on the games, then why are they wasting time on this crap?
I sense much anger in you young one. That is the path to the dark side :-)I think you may be buying a little to far in to the over powered Gamecube thing. Many of the games I've seen have looked a lot better than expected. They are not 360 graphics but they definitely aren't GC graphics either. Now I'll give you Wii Sports isn't one of them but it's these days it's rare that a system comes with a game much less a game you want.The nightmare scenario you worry about is probably not going to happen. Alot of the 3rd party developers are devoting entire teams to Wii evelopment on many titles. Some of the inital entries may suffer from a little tack on Wii functionality but I forsee this going the same route as the DS. After people learn the Wii some you will some some really innovate games as well as really innovative versions of games.If you want to worry about something what we should worry about is scaled down versions of games due to lack of horse power. That worries me some where I have to chose between title based on control innovation vs. level exspanse and things of the like.And lastly the Channels are not for you. It's for the other people in your house who may not be gamers that may see the Wii as more multi-purpose. They never said the joint was all about the games they said it was about making games focus on being fun to play.In closing I think we should all relax and grab our Wiis

Offical Wii Price: 250$, Ships with Wii Sports. 13 years 4 days ago #230869

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
agn wrote:
Also is a 3D weather thingy really needed for the wii? I mean A picture with the sun and the temp is all you need for the weather, a 3D google earth type thing for weather seems a little ridiculous for a game console feature. Who really scans the planet for temperatures in other countries?
I have a lot of friends and family in other countries, so I do at least.. I doubt I'd use the feature anyway, but it's not like it cost them any extra effort. It'd be cool if other neat little apps were developed for it.. I think ironically Nintendo is doing more here to incorporate other uses for their device than their competitors..I never buy a console at launch anyway, but I don't see anything outrageous about the pricing. I bet it drops faster than the others. This is just a way to make sure it goes to the most rabid fans at the optimal price.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!