Forum

TOPIC: Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #383347

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
Sony still looking for money from their free service. No word on what it will be though.Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services for New Revenue Stream
Now, this doesn't necessarily mean the currently free online service will start charging its users at some point during this next year. It's far more likely that the line in the report was referring to new subscription-based features, such as the PSP rental service or one of SOE's upcoming MMOs.We contacted Sony about the reference to PSN subscriptions, and a representative responded, saying, "We have not made any formal announcements on a subscription based service. We're looking into a variety of options." It sounds like the company has yet to set any subscription plans in stone -- or perhaps Sony's just now gauging the community's reaction to the concept of a pay-to-play PSN.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #383357

• Bloodburn
  • Level 10
It's far more likely that the line in the report was referring to new subscription-based features, such as the PSP rental service or one of SOE's upcoming MMOs.There is no way they will start charging for online play, soooo many people will not subscribe and toss the ps3 for the 360 if thats the case.The bolded quote is more than likely the thing, they will charge for other special things like mmo's of course, and such.

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #383367

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
They are going to make user's to pay rent for their PS Home crib.Joking aside I agree with Bloodburn, a company never wants to start charging for something that customers are getting for free without some kind of added functionality.As far as the MMO on console market is concerned PS3 is at a great advantage over the 360. Current FFXI players on the 360 are paying an additional $12 a month over their LIVE subscription.Furthermore, anytime a company states that they are looking into new revenue streams and want to monetize services they are saying it to keep stock holders happy. You will never hear a company say, "Oh, I think we are making enough money."

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #383396

• Lnin0
  • Stage B - 3
If Sony starts charging why would people jump to the 360? Not only would PS3 owners also have to pay on the 360 but they would have to buy a 360. More than likely I think it will happen but not an all or nothing deal like Live. I think Sony will keep the basics, including online play, free but they could have success with a subscription tier as well. They just need to add some value so people actually want to pay and keep it cheaper than Live.

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #383397

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
What if they charged for cross game chat? LOL..
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #383398

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
I'd pay if they upped their bandwidth.

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #383400

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
Upgraded bandwidth, maintained their own dedicated servers (no more scetchy 3rd party crap), and really do I need to wait 2 minutes to get into HOME?I too don't think they will go the pay to play route, except for any MMO.

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #384667

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
Well seems the "monthy fees" talk keeps from Sony. Maybey they are softening everyone up?Sony Brings Up Monthly Fees Again
Servers and the like have running costs, and we would face difficulties if our business depended solely on the sell-and-forget model. After we sell the hardware, though, we continue to sell products such as content and services. We expect to see considerable growth in digital content, such as game download services, avatar items and the like. We can also accept payment in a growing number of ways. In addition to single-payment packaged software, there are also schemes like monthly fees or per-item charges. I think this variety of payment methods will bring about a diverse range of playing methods, too.

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #384693

• Bloodburn
  • Level 10
if they gave the psn cross game voice chat via a party system like 360...yea then i can see them charging monthly, until they can at LEAST match the online experience the 360 has, they wont be able to get away with that.

Sony 'looking into' Subscription-Based PSN Services 9 years 8 months ago #384697

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
Funnily enough I actually timed how long it took to get into Sony Home this morning. 7 minutes. 7 minutes from the time I hit "X" on the XMB link til I actually was in Home and able to move around.