Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 11 months ago #344503

• jbo2891
  • Level 2
I finally upgraded my 60 GB yesterday to a Western Digital Scorpio 320 GB and it was smooth sailing. The only thing strange was that when i started playing SuperStardust afterwards I started earning trophies all over again, but when i go to the xmb and click my name, my trophy total is still up to date. . Doesn't seem like a big deal though.Also, Total time was about 3 hrs and 15 minutes. 3 hours for backup and restore, 15 minutes for disk swap.
"It could be a crackhead dat got hold to the wrong stuff!"[gamercard]jbo2891[/gamercard][psnid]jbo2891[/psnid]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 11 months ago #344591

Why do you need big HDDs for PS3?Just cause you can?Too many game installs?Cool homebrew stuff?
Wii Code: 7582-1250-9302-3446 Mario Kart Wii: 3437-3369-6161 PSN Name: GunstarSilver Steam ID: GunstarSilver

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 11 months ago #344628

• jbo2891
  • Level 2
GunstarSilver;344591 wrote:
Why do you need big HDDs for PS3?Just cause you can?Too many game installs?Cool homebrew stuff?
I did it because mandatory game installs and downloadable games are on the rise. Also, i don't delete demos unless they really suck or i get the retail game, or unless i need space (which won't be a problem now). Others like to have alot of music, pictures and videos stored on there hdd so an upgrade is necessaryAlso, some do it to install another Operating System on their ps3 (I have no idea why, but the option is there)Hopefully some cool homebrew stuff comes out that won't completely fk up my ps3, then i could relly start putting the hdd to use.
"It could be a crackhead dat got hold to the wrong stuff!"[gamercard]jbo2891[/gamercard][psnid]jbo2891[/psnid]

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 7 months ago #358401

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
After some initial backup hiccups (FAT32 vs NTFS?) I finally managed to upgrade my PS3.So the first USB drive I try to use for backing up turned out to be NTFS and would not be recognized by the PS3. I then tried to use the drive I store my MP3's on, but it would get about a minute or two into the backup and quit out saying the drive was "unresponsive." Finally I reformatted the first drive I wanted to use to FAT32, a little better than hour later it's all backed up.I'm beginning to think that one of the screws is designed to fail, because almost all the upgrades I read about online, at least one screw was stripped. I am no different. After taking great care not to strip any I get to the last screw.....vwip....damnit. I finally got it out with a pair of needlenose pliers.Swap out, reassemble, format, restore from backup......I'm now rocking a 500GB PS3. :D Well not quite 500GB. A quick look at the system information it shows 412GB/465GB, but still that's a whole lot more than 60GB.And now that, that is out of the way I can now look at getting MSG4 and other games I've been holding off on until after I upgraded.

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 7 months ago #358412

• VaeVictus
  • Level 10
I updated my console in about 20 minutes. Using an SD card to back up my game saves didn't take long at all. What did take a long time was downloading the 24 PSN games I've bought and all of the Rock Band tracks. Other than that, I had no issue with screws stripping. I used the proper sized screwdriver and it was easier than I thought it would be.I think a lot of problems people have are simply b/c they use the incorrect sized screwdriver. I bought a 320G Hitachi (5400) HD from tigerdirect.com for $49.99 (64.99 with MIR).
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com.s3.amazonaws.com/143/252/VaeVictus.png?1250775104610

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 7 months ago #358487

• CryBaby
  • Level 3
i allways wondered that if i got a bigger hard drive if it would still backwards compatible since i have an original 60gig i aint all geeked out like yall but im asuming its not hardrive based its more like programed into the machines specs somewhere right ?

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 7 months ago #358508

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
You are correct. Backwards compatibility on the 60GB is all hardware. The later iterations are a mix of hardware/software if I remember rightly. Either way you can safely change the hard drive without fear of loosing backwards compatibility.

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 4 months ago #365855

• BBboy20
  • Stage A - 1
Does it matter which amount of Gb/s from a SATA HDD you use? Is higher the better?
Signature

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 4 months ago #365860

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
Supposedly no. My understanding from what I read is that the PS3 pretty much reads everything at the same rate.

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 10 years 2 months ago #370748

• BBboy20
  • Stage A - 1
I backed it up on the external HDD but my game saves don't show up; are they actually there and that the PC can't even see the game files or for some reason the system back up only files not related to gaming?
Signature
  • Page: