Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 3 months ago #340710

• Davidb69
  • Level 10
I was having issues this weekend with games that I own that are stored on my hard drive and the installs that take up space so I decided to upgrade yesterday. I backed up using a USB hard drive to backup everything. It took an hour and a half to back everything up. I then pulled my hard drive from the system. The Blue screw attached to the system was easy to remove but the computer that screwed the tiny screws into the hard drive went a little too far. I knew in advanced from other podcasts that the screws are easy to strip. It took me over an hour and I had to use my drill to destroy the one screw so when putting the new drive back in the system I only have 3 screws holding it in now. When I booted up the system recognized that I had a new hard drive and it formatted for me. Then I restored the backup onto the hard drive which took another 1 hour 15 minutes.Overall besides the screws, the upgrade was extremly simple. Just be aware of the time you need to spend on doing it.
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 3 months ago #340739

• jbo2891
  • Level 2
thanks for the info, i'm thinking of upgrading my 60gb soon as well...i didn't even consider all the time it would take, especially after watching condensed 10 minute upgrades on youtube. Good to hear it was a simple switch though.
"It could be a crackhead dat got hold to the wrong stuff!"[gamercard]jbo2891[/gamercard][psnid]jbo2891[/psnid]

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 3 months ago #340741

I stripped a head of one of the HDD screws because the screw driver I had was too small. I bought a set with larger handles which game me more torque. Luckily I got it out with needle nose pliers.
"It's like they deep fried delicious goodness and squared it... into a triangle." (BloodShotRobot, PAX08 )
"[Optimus] Prime is like Jack Bauer without all the issues" (Redmond, AGI Episode 211)

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 3 months ago #340747

• Duraly
  • Level 10
What is the biggest size HDD the PS3 will accept? Or is there a limit at all.
[psnid]Duraly[/psnid]

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 3 months ago #340774

• NickH29
  • Level 3
Duraly;340747 wrote:
What is the biggest size HDD the PS3 will accept? Or is there a limit at all.
I think the only limit is that they don't make hard drives more then 500GB (?) that fit in the PS3. But if somewhere down the road in the next few years they come out with say a 1TB hard drive then the ps3 should accept it.Also, I updated my 40GB to 160GB before I even plugged the PS3 in and it was very easy for me. I'm not exactly sure what the screw problem your talking about is since I didn't run into the issue but overall I thought it was a very quick and painless process to change the hard drive.
[gamercard]NickH29[/gamercard]

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 3 months ago #341137

Yeah I upgraded my 60gb to a 320 as well. Part that took the longest was the backing up and restoring. Also did it for 3 of my friends. Only downside I saw on any of them is that 2 of them lost some trophies in uncharted. Not sure if they didn't synchronize or whatever or if it was just a glitch. One of them even has the trophies up to getting 15 treasures and then has the 25 treasure trophy but not the 20 treasure one haha.
[gamercard]Fitzabombr[/gamercard]
Currently Own: XBox360, PS3, PS2, PSP, DS, Dell XPS M1210

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 3 months ago #341159

• R3quiem
  • Stage B - 3
is this possible with a 40gb as well?

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 3 months ago #341166

• Davidb69
  • Level 10
R3quiem;341159 wrote:
is this possible with a 40gb as well?
Yes you can.
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 3 months ago #341192

Yeah sony made it possible with any of their PS3's. It's even in the manual. And not sure what the sticker says now but i've seen a sticker on the cover for the HDD slot that says "Open here to change HDD" lol
[gamercard]Fitzabombr[/gamercard]
Currently Own: XBox360, PS3, PS2, PSP, DS, Dell XPS M1210

My experience upgrading from 60 gig HD to 320 gig HD 11 years 2 months ago #344470

• CryBaby
  • Level 3
i want to do this to my 60 gig . but i have a few questions.Is the system still going to be backwards compatible ? and all the trophies i asume will still be there since its linked to the tag .plus how much is a 260 gig drive ?? cause i want one so i can never fill it up 60 gig is running low lol
  • Page: