Forum

TOPIC: VoIP gateway = router?

VoIP gateway = router? 15 years 4 weeks ago #4884

Im going to be hooking up my xbox live this week. I was wondering if the VoIP gateway I have would server as a router. It has 4 ethernet cable slots.........1 hooks up to my phone, the other to my computer...leaving 2 slots unused. Im not going wireless with my xbox b/c its too expensive.......I was wondering If I just plug my xbox up to the empty slot if it would work...........I guess I should try huh............/me goes to buy more ethernet cable!
Dunemaul PvP - 108 days /playedElune PvE - 180 days /played288 days of playing WoW since 2005. /wrists
The administrator has disabled public write access.

VoIP gateway = router? 15 years 4 weeks ago #4888

I'm pretty sure it'll work fine.Err... why is your phone plugged into it?

VoIP gateway = router? 15 years 3 weeks ago #4905

voip = voice over ip......my mother has it through at&t.......20 bucks a month for unlimited longdistance and local......phone is through the internet......crazy huh?
Dunemaul PvP - 108 days /playedElune PvE - 180 days /played288 days of playing WoW since 2005. /wrists

VoIP gateway = router? 15 years 3 weeks ago #4906

Cool.Most likely it'll work, but I'm nowhere near expert on home networking.

VoIP gateway = router? 15 years 3 weeks ago #4934

• InnerLogic
  • Stage A - 1
it "should" work, Try it out, and if it does not work, you can get a network card for your Computer (which i'm guessing is close by) and just plug the ethernet cord into that. Little bit harder to set up, but a good newtwork card cost about $20 - $30, so it's cheaper then a router. Routers don't cost all that much now anyway, so any way you go is good. just make sure for xbox live, you have good games for it, :lol:

VoIP gateway = router? 15 years 3 weeks ago #4996

right now all I have is ESPN football 2005......and I have prepaid for halo 2........hmmm what else should I get!?!?

VoIP gateway = router? 15 years 3 weeks ago #5131

With more then 2 network cable slots, it'll probably will work. I think it needs Managed Router Service with your VoIP for it to work (which you prolly have already.)

VoIP gateway = router? 15 years 3 weeks ago #5142

AliasOfWestgate wrote:
With more then 2 network cable slots, it'll probably will work. I think it needs Managed Router Service with your VoIP for it to work (which you prolly have already.)
thanks......ima try it in 2 weeks.......then I will have the XBL starter kit....and money for some XBL games.........any suggestions........?

VoIP gateway = router? 15 years 3 weeks ago #5143

Well, check the XBL Lounge thread for all I got (though I never play most of 'em ... lol)It's tough cause a lot of good online games my friends aren't playing anymore (RS3, Star Wars: Jedi Academy) but both of them are really good. Check with friends first, since you'll be playing with them the most.Currently the best ones are Rainbow Six 3 and any sports game I assumeSoon the new Rainbow Six 3 (I can't remember the subtitle) and Halo 2 will be out /sigh (dammit id I need Doom 3 yesterday!)Unreal Championship is good, but UC2 looks so amazing, I'm dying to get my hands on that one as well.Hope that helps somewhat.