Forum

TOPIC: How do you feel about unofficial HDDs

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 8 months ago #384208

• jay irv
  • Level 4
I've been considering either purchasing this unofficial harddrive for my 360 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30815 or building my own using hddhackr, but of course the issue as to weather or not M$ sees this as hacking or modding your console or even if the quality of the official harddrives are better keeps coming to mind. I have yet to see this topic really discussed on our forums and was wondering if any of you had an opinion on the matter
Originally Posted by EvilWall "Whatever happened to the good old days when you could just hit a bitch over the head with a club?"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 8 months ago #384212

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Just get the same size and brand(western digital i think) as an "official" one and I don't see how they could tell the difference.

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 7 months ago #385565

• Er0cK
  • Level 1
They can see the difference and they do consider it "modding". You're console will eventually get banned for using it. The 360 HDD is a very high margin accessory for MS, and they don't like you taking their profits :smt018. As for quality, they use the same HDDs you or I use. So using your own quality 2.5" HDD is no different then what MS does.
[gamercard]Er0cK2k6[/gamercard][psnid]Er0cK2k6[/psnid]

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 7 months ago #385568

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
They will ban you. Just a matter of time. M$ doesn't play nice.

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 7 months ago #385576

but uh, i'm pretty sure the 250gb in the mw2 bundle is a western digital drive as well.and they certainly can't ban you on the basis of having a 250gb hard drive if they themselves sell one...

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 7 months ago #385577

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
quashpdarkman;385576 wrote:
but uh, i'm pretty sure the 250gb in the mw2 bundle is a western digital drive as well.and they certainly can't ban you on the basis of having a 250gb hard drive if they themselves sell one...
From all I gather from Major Nelson's podcast... they can tell if you are using an unnofficial HDD.

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 7 months ago #385581

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
To use an unofficial HDD they copy the security sectors from an official drive (that's what determines its size to the Xbox). So if you get your 250GB (or 120GB) security sector file online, guess what? You have a drive that shares a number with thousands of others. They may not enforce it yet but if they wanted to, they could. Though I wonder if they would just ban the hard drive rather than your console.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 7 months ago #385582

• vtalon
  • Level 1
I upgraded my hard drive w/ one from Newegg a year ago and thought that Microsoft might have included the modded drives w/ the others that were banned a six months ago.It seems a lot of people have troubles when following the tutorials on the hard drive upgrade.At the price from your link I would just buy that one.
[gamercard]blacktalonawd[/gamercard]

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 7 months ago #385583

• vtalon
  • Level 1
I would just buy the one in the link. It can be a hassle to mod a hard dive to work in the 360.
[gamercard]blacktalonawd[/gamercard]

How do you feel about unofficial HDDs 9 years 7 months ago #385624

• Er0cK
  • Level 1
quashpdarkman;385576 wrote:
I'm sure it's a western digital, though like posted, you are using a cloned security sector. This would be very easy for MS to find, especially since it doesn't match the drives serial number from which it was cloned. I know for a fact that this information is recorded on all official MS HDDs and is surley readable by the console/dashboard. An example in how dirty MS is...I have 2 banned consoles that were 86'd in November for DVD drive spoof/swaps. These were not modded for backups, they were old hitachi drives that stopped reading discs. I opted to replace them with $25 benq drives rather then paying MS $120 for each one to be repaired. I am totally down for banning consoles that are used for piracy. I do not agree banning me for performing repairs on my own stuff to avoid overpriced repairs. Lesson is, if you want to play live you must play by MS's rules. As unfair and dirty as it seems, you agree to the terms that legally lets them get away with it.
[gamercard]Er0cK2k6[/gamercard][psnid]Er0cK2k6[/psnid]