Forum

TOPIC: ~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383065

people seem to be under the impression that these xboxes were hard modded and thus easily detectable.this was the case with the original xbox (until the softmod came out, but that was hard drive based and could be circumvented) but with the 360 you just flash the firmware on the disc drive. this in and of itself is entirely undetectable. the ways you get caught are a) not updating the stealth check on your copied games accordingly with system updates and b) playing games before their release date (the xbox doesn't detect this, but microsoft can just as easily see that you're doing so by monitoring your xbl activity).in short, the only time playing online is a hazard to your modded 360 is if you're a goddamn idiot and play a game before it comes out (and again, in the case of mw2, there were tons of people doing this).before anyone asks, no, my xbox isn't modded. that's not to say i haven't modded other people's though.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383067

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Then that's especially stupid if that's the only way they were caught. Guess they had such a hard on for MW2 they couldn't think straight.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383136

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383139

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
cool, start banning gamertags now.

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383151

idk in all seriousness though i think many of the measures microsoft takes with the 360 are simply unnecessary and a huge pain in the ass both for them and the consumer.like, why the fuck does a current gen console have region lock? if the 360 didn't have it, there would be no reason for me to ever mod mine in the future (as it stands, region lock probably won't get cracked for quite some time). i would love to be able to buy a copy of deathsmiles and play it on my us 360 but that just isn't doable. there IS region free capability for 360 games, it's just that publishers have to pay more to utilize it (cave is doing that now with mushihime sama, but who's to say they're going to do this for more than one game?).same goes with locking out third party peripherals like the mouse and keyboard adapter- is microsoft really THAT afraid of people installing linux on their 360s or something? i have a ps2 to 360 converter for my arcade sticks and i'm sure as hell not going to buy a 360 one (in part because most of them are ass) just because microsoft wants to lock out something that they didn't make. at that point i'm just not going to go on live and stop paying $50 a year for p2p.you might be thinking "they make the console, so they can decide what to do with it", which is true. but that doesn't mean what they're doing is smart or right. banning people who pirated games? fine. screwing people out of money by locking out every little thing you can manage to? once the price of simply being able to use a 360 exceeds $300, i'm turning it around and getting a ps3. and i KNOW i'm not the only one thinking this.it certainly doesn't help their case that they're still selling a 120gb hard drive for $150 and a usb wireless dongle for $100...

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383152

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
They're selling the hard drives for so much because they want to have a console(arcade) that undercuts competition while also being able to sell a $299 Xbox at the same time.

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383156

the thing is that all 360 peripherals are hideously overpricedi know every console is guilty of it to some extent, but the 360 is by far the worst offender

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383157

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
What else is overpriced besides the hard drives and wireless adapters?

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383159

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
At least with Microsoft and Nintendo you can replace the batteries in the controllers. When the batteries completely die for the PS3 (ie no longer take a charge) you'll have to either stay wired or buy new controllers.

~1M XBL Users Banhammered for Modding 9 years 9 months ago #383172

Nut_Man;383157 wrote:
What else is overpriced besides the hard drives and wireless adapters?
wireless mic that only works on 360, the wired mic, the hd-dvd player when it was new was way overpriced when you consider the base cost of the console at the time.granted, you can get the 60gb hard drive for $90 now with a mic and 3 months of live, but once those three months are up there's a third of your investment gone.that's not to say all accessories for the 360 are a ripoff though. for $30-$40, the official vga cable is a wonderful little package that comes with everything you'll ever need (gender changer, rca to 1.8mm adapter and even an optical output). a standalone vga cable and rca cable would cost less, but it's nice that microsoft even makes one, and a good one at that.as for controllers, i agree with lord moon. even if replacing a lithium battery isn't the most complicated thing in the world, i'd much rather just swap in some AA's and get back to playing.