Forum

TOPIC: Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 10 years 1 month ago #381620

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
Nut_Man;381618 wrote:
Um, I don't think they legally could do that. That would be like Microsoft refusing Windows for Sony laptops. Or making it so Windows can't recognize the PS3. Or Microsoft refusing to let Sony use Microsoft codecs with the PS3/PSP.Sony would LOVE to have Blu-Ray in an Xbox because they'll money off of it. I don't think you know what the word proprietary means.
While you may be right about the legality of the thing, I don't think Sony would love Blu-Ray on the XBOX 360 right now giving the amount of money lost on the PS3. I'm sure that eventually they would be happy to have Blu-Ray on the 360 but for now I think they want to keep that a differentiating feature for the PS3. IMO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 10 years 1 month ago #381631

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
I don't think Sony would mind Blu-Ray on 360 at all. It just means more royalties and more Blu-Rays sold.I'm not sure about the legality though. Technically they don't have to give anyone else the rights to use it, but I suppose if they were declared to have a monopoly on it then it'd be judged as anti-competitive behavior, but that's kind of a stretch given all the other options for video playback and the fact that Blu-Rays aren't dominating the market.Sony lets Toshiba make Blu-Ray players now though, and they were the enemy behind HD-DVD, so it's pretty obvious they wouldn't be petty about it.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 10 years 1 month ago #381667

• DeadMan
  • Stage A - 1
I dont think they can charge "x" company more to use the technology than they would charge MS for it... doesn't seem legal.
[Gamercard]Deadmanerz[/Gamercard] Origin and Battlelog: ColCake