Forum

TOPIC: Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381555

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
C0lin;381554 wrote:
I think Microsoft's track record for this generation says that it'll be overpriced. Watch it be $299.
They could only sell it at that price if they added Halo 3 skins. :smt077
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381558

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
C0lin;381554 wrote:
I think Microsoft's track record for this generation says that it'll be overpriced. Watch it be $299.
I doubt it. The HD DVD drive was fairly priced. It was actually really aggressively priced when it first came out. Cheapest player at the time i think.

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381573

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
GunstarSilver;381545 wrote:
the PS3 is my blu-ray add-on drive for my 360 :-D
Srsly..I dunno. The way the article linked put it, it seems like Ballmer just goofed.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381578

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Major Nelson says Ballmer was referring to PC accessories and not Xbox.

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381581

• Lnin0
  • Stage B - 3
blu-ray is so 2008. streaming 1080p is the future.

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381598

• Feelgood
  • Stage A - 1
Oh I think it's coming. I think he popped open his mouth too early though. Check this:
Though he says it with certitude, the timing of any kind of Blu-ray accessory is unclear. Could he have mispoken? Certainly. However, when I asked Xbox spokespeople about Ballmer's revelation, they responded: "Our immediate solution for Blu-ray-quality video on an Xbox 360 is coming this fall with Zune Video and 1080p instant-on HD streaming. As far as our future plans are concerned, we're not ready to comment."
link

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381601

• Bloodburn
  • Level 10
blu-ray quality video, NOT blu-rays themselves.The 1080p streaming is what they are probably talking about. blu-ray is a sony proprietary media, they wont let microsoft use it.That would be like microsoft letting sony have windows installed as an OS on the ps3.

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381613

• DeadMan
  • Stage A - 1
I'm not totally sure how the whole business side of it works but Sony wouldn't charge Microsoft any more than it charges others to license the technology. I believe one has to join the Bluray Disc Association to obtain the license.MS should be looking at Quad HD and HVDs :D
[Gamercard]Deadmanerz[/Gamercard] Origin and Battlelog: ColCake

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381614

• Bloodburn
  • Level 10

Blu-Ray Add-On Drive coming to Xbox 360 according to Steve Balmer 9 years 9 months ago #381618

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Bloodburn;381601 wrote:
blu-ray quality video, NOT blu-rays themselves.The 1080p streaming is what they are probably talking about. blu-ray is a sony proprietary media, they wont let microsoft use it.That would be like microsoft letting sony have windows installed as an OS on the ps3.
Um, I don't think they legally could do that. That would be like Microsoft refusing Windows for Sony laptops. Or making it so Windows can't recognize the PS3. Or Microsoft refusing to let Sony use Microsoft codecs with the PS3/PSP.Sony would LOVE to have Blu-Ray in an Xbox because they'll money off of it. I don't think you know what the word proprietary means.