Forum

TOPIC: Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity?

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370569

• Lnin0
  • Stage B - 3
Engadget got a close look at NATAL as well
After our meeting, we actually had a chance to speak with another source who was able to show us the software guts behind the Natal, so that we could understand the method by which tracking is done. The box uses two sensors for input: a video camera, and an infrared camera (that light you see in the press photo is either power, or some part of the IR setup). The infrared data is used to gauge depth and the video camera movement, but it's the software Microsoft has developed which is really doing the magic. We were shown an example of the raw output of the system, which melds the two sources and then breaks them down into a wireframe of objects, a heatmap (for depth), and a point-map (which is akin to one of those hand imprint needle toys). The software merges all of this together to create a picture of movement in the room, allowing for some pretty crazy detail of what is going on. We watched a chair being dragged into the middle of the playing field, and the software was able to continue to track the human movement, as well as that person sitting down -- it didn't break a sweat. The accuracy is far better than you would imagine it could be; it's very impressive stuff.
And yes, the Israelis are in on this...NATAL uses the ZCam tech : a brand of time-of-flight camera products for video applications by Israeli developer 3DV Systems.
As the story goes, 3DV Systems was initially hoping to have the ZCam in the manufacturing process by the tail end of 2008, but Microsoft swooped in and acquired the outfit just weeks after it blew minds in January ( CES08 ).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370631

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
Gizmodo looks at it too. One of them tries to break the system.Testing Project Natal: We Touched the Intangible
So I floor it, growing confident as I wave through traffic and slowly build speed. I reach maximum velocity, throw my foot back to break, cut the wheel and toss the car into a spin. Yes. This feels right. Just right.Holy shit.But Natal can't work this well. It just CAN'T. I need to break it, teach this Microsoft prototype a little humility. What if I stand on my tip toes and steer eight feet in the air?The car handles fine.What if I kneel on the ground and steer?Yup, it still works, save for a moment when my knee shifted and I tricked the machine—a fair mistake, even by my highly ridiculous dork standards.
Funnily enough, the guy that wasn't trying to "break it," broke it.
When Kudo gestured to me try it, I jumped right in and immediately started smacking at balls with my hands and feet and knees and arms and head as one ball exploded into many, like a virus, until I was doing sad white ninja jerking and jumping movements. Kudo didn't tell me how to "set it up" or what to do. I just did it. You have to realize, Kudo towers over me. I didn't have to calibrate it to my body size, or stand in a weird way for it to adjust. It just worked. Well, until I broke it at the end—it froze up after a few rounds and had to be rebooted for Mark. Hey, it's an early tech demo, so don't read into it. Until that point, it worked remarkably, incredibly well—better than I expected, honestly.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370645

• Sully907
  • Stage A - 1
Impressive stuff that it's able to work so well under different conditions like that. I really like the concept of having a controllerless gaming future with accuracy, but I'm a little worried about it being able to consistently tell different parts of the body in close proximity from each other, and that the lack of some kind of tactile feedback in my hands could be frustrating. I'd have to try it myself.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370651

• Bloodburn
  • Level 10
Sully907;370645 wrote:
Impressive stuff that it's able to work so well under different conditions like that. I really like the concept of having a controllerless gaming future with accuracy, but I'm a little worried about it being able to consistently tell different parts of the body in close proximity from each other, and that the lack of some kind of testicle feedback in my hands could be frustrating. I'd have to try it myself.
Fixed.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370652

natal is nothing new; sega tried it ages ago[youtube]ql-UZv3AS-E[/youtube]

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370657

• Bloodburn
  • Level 10
Lol i remember that, good find...I am sure that thing did really well for sega, I mean its like virtual reality!!!11

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370661

I DON'T WANT TO PLAY GAMES JUMPING AROUND LIKE A FUCKING RETARD ON METH!!! I am burnt out on "Motion Controllers". Playing games all the time is already nerdy enough for fucks sake.
[gamercard]J0HN McCLANE[/gamercard]PSN ID: J0HN-666-McCLANE

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370663

quashpdarkman;370652 wrote:
natal is nothing new; sega tried it ages ago[youtube]ql-UZv3AS-E[/youtube]
After watching this video I can see why sega failed in the long run.
[gamercard]J0HN McCLANE[/gamercard]PSN ID: J0HN-666-McCLANE

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370664

• Sully907
  • Stage A - 1
Way to keep things classy bloodburn lol.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370665

• Bloodburn
  • Level 10
Dont worry, Im sure you will get more testicle feedback in your hands soon enough.