Forum

TOPIC: Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity?

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370449

• Bloodburn
  • Level 10
Kwyjibo;370433 wrote:
Compared to Nintendo and Sony's 'motion controller' offerings I think this looks like something a lot more profound and a lot less gimmicky. I still remember being really stoked about the Wii and then the complete deception the first time I played it; the fact that it's easier to play most Wii games by cheating the controls (flick of the wrist bowling in Wii sports, using your hands instead of feet on the balance board in Wii fit) completely makes the motioncontrollers obsolete, but this Natal thing looks like it has potential far beyond the gimmicks of Wii and Sony motion controls. Somehow MS seem to 'get it' lately on pretty much all fronts (case in point Windows 7).
The only problem with NATAL is that it is only as accurate as the wii was.there is about half a second to a second of visual input lag from the time you move, to the time the system reacts. This will not be sufficient for real gaming with this device, and only good for wii type games, mini games and paint programs. The sony motion controller is a 1:1 response ratio, so its truly real time and can be used for any type of game even FPS's.So it seems 360 is going more toward the wii casual mom and little sister type of gaming crowd and sony is more using their motion system for the actual gamer crowd.Neither is bad though, 360 will get an even bigger audience if they pull it off, which means more money
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370450

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
Sound like it's pretty good to me. Kotaku took Burnout Paradise for a spin with it. So before you blow Natal off you might want to read. From Stick Figure To Mind-Blowing ControlsAnd personally I think both Sony and Microsoft on quite on the right track with both of their offerings.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370453

• Wampa_One
  • Level 1
Lord Moon;370450 wrote:
Sound like it's pretty good to me. Kotaku took Burnout Paradise for a spin with it. So before you blow Natal off you might want to read. From Stick Figure To Mind-Blowing ControlsAnd personally I think both Sony and Microsoft on quite on the right track with both of their offerings.
Sure it's good nobody should be denying that but we aren't going to be throwing away our controllers anytime soon and it's not the next coming either.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370461

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
I don't see controllers going away either. In Microsoft's case I see it easily being used in conjunction with Natal.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370483

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
There are some things that a completely motion controlled game wouldn't be able to work with, at least motion controlled through video and hand movements, and that would be a working camera system. So I don't think every game out there is going to be solved with this, but otherwise, it looks amazing.I can't wait to catch up on this stuff. I haven't even seen the video of Milo yet :|

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370496

• Kwyjibo
  • Level 1
Bloodburn;370449 wrote:
The only problem with NATAL is that it is only as accurate as the wii was.there is about half a second to a second of visual input lag from the time you move, to the time the system reacts. This will not be sufficient for real gaming with this device, and only good for wii type games, mini games and paint programs. The sony motion controller is a 1:1 response ratio, so its truly real time and can be used for any type of game even FPS's.So it seems 360 is going more toward the wii casual mom and little sister type of gaming crowd and sony is more using their motion system for the actual gamer crowd.Neither is bad though, 360 will get an even bigger audience if they pull it off, which means more money
I personally try to refrain from giving such comments on precision before I have tried it myself, and am surprised people already have their comments at the ready. You talk like you know the exact specs of the Natal system (which is still very much in concept), or that you have been testing it extensively yourself, otherwise you wouldn't be able to make such comments. Also when Sony says it's 1:1 then I will be sceptical about that as well, there is no such thing as 1:1 response in computing, lag (however little there is) is always existant. I DO know what the Wii controls feel like and was fairly unimpressed by the EyeToy/PSeye experience. What Sony showed yesterday was interesting, but yet again another controller; it's evolutionary, not revolutionary (it also appears to me Sony is having trouble with taking bold steps lately, Sixasis was somewhat of an aftertought (compared to Wii) and now they seemed very much afraid of letting go of the ideo of a controller with buttons). I also don't think we should judge this tech on how it MIGHT work with current games (like FPSes etc) but we should hope that instead this will spark a new type of game, otherwise we make the same mistake Sony and Nintendo made by trying to force a new tech on an old game. In the right hands this can take off, but it will need a cooparitive effort between engineers and game designers. Don't make the mistakes of the past by putting out a peripheral and wait for the gamedesigners to see if they will tag it onto their existing projects. There will always be a place for the controller, same as there will always be a place for your game specific peripherals (steering wheels, band peripherals etc). Don't get me wrong, I own both a PS3 and a 360, and don't consider myself a fanboy of either, I am just a fanboy of good games and good tech...

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370518

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Wampa_One;370448 wrote:
Hate to disagree but the eye cam on my PS3 can recognize motion and do the same thing that breakout game they demoed in fact that has been possible since the ps2, the only thing that was somewhat innovative was the creepy little brother but then again the ps3 has that in the form of a monkey. There was nothing new here just a bunch of hype as usual that will most likely turn out to be just like mezmerize or aquatopia on the ps3.
The PS2 eyetoy and 360 vision cam could only recognize your 2D shape and therefor is nothing like Natal, which has two cameras to interpret 3D space. If you'd watched the demo's closer, you'd see that you can actually swing your arms forward to get more power in your hit.

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370523

• Lnin0
  • Stage B - 3
Yeah, it interprets 3D space so head tracking vr is where they need to take it. As a supplement to the controller - not as a replacement. Imagine being able to really 'look' around in a game as if you TV was a window. If you haven't seen anything about head tracking before take a look at the demo they made using the Wii - this could be done with Natal without having to wear anything on your head. This I could get into...kicking in a fighting game or 'air' steering...not so much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370549

• Vizruy
  • Level 6
BuckFarack187;370141 wrote:
You do understand that "Technology" exists right? Technology isn't a conspiracy theory. You don't believe that eventually down the road, we will be able to plug ourselves into a matrix like grid? whether 100 years from now, 500 years from now, or what ever, eventually it will happen. We're in the beginning stages of it.
We can barely understand how the cognitive processes in the human mind occur or how to repare damaged neurons to their original state/functionality. It's going to take a veeerrrryyyy long time for us to complement or bypass our own sensory systems with biotics.
[gamercard]Vizruy[/gamercard]

Project NATAL and Milo: Evolution of Gaming or Downfall of Humanity? 10 years 3 months ago #370554

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
For the doubters who think this is nothing more than a webcam, the Wii-hacking genius Johnny Chung Lee who brought head tracking 3D to the Wii is working on Natal and divulged a little more about the tech behind it. http://procrastineering.blogspot.com/2009/06/project-natal.html