Forum

TOPIC: Xbox 360 RROD class action lawsuit

Xbox 360 RROD class action lawsuit 11 years 3 weeks ago #348477

On September 19, 2008, a California resident filed a state class action lawsuit against Microsoft Corporation over the excessive failure rate of its XBOX 360 consoles. For_Immediate_Release:United States of America (Press Release) September 19, 2008 -- The lawsuit, brought under California's consumer protection statutes, was filed in the Sacramento County Superior Court. The lawsuit alleges that an excessive number of XBOX 360 consoles have failed, resulting in what is commonly known in the gaming community as the "red ring of death". The lawsuit further alleges that Microsoft concealed the excessive failure rate of its XBOX 360 consoles in order to compete with the pending launch of Sony's Playstation 3 and Nintendo's Wii gaming systems.The lawsuit cites to a number of recent articles published in gaming trade journals and on popular websites including VentureBeat Digital Media and Yahoo! Those articles contend that Microsoft knew as far back as November 2005 that over 50% of the XBOX 360 consoles involved in the initial sales launch were defective.The class action lawsuit seeks an order that Microsoft disgorge all profits attributable to its sale of the XBOX 360, as well as that Microsoft publicly announce and implement a refund program in California.For further information contact:Keith D. Cable, Esq.CABLE LAW OFFICES101 Parkshore Drive, Suite 100Folsom, CA 95630Tel. (916) 608-7995This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. "the lawsuit seeks a court order that would force Microsoft to pay off the disenfranchised Xbox 360 owners with all profits that it made from sale of the console. A kind of RROD refund program, if you will."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Xbox 360 RROD class action lawsuit 11 years 3 weeks ago #348607

• bentdog
  • Level 3
They dont have a case. If you get the red ring microsoft will fix it for free, free shiping, free xbox LIVE for a month, and if anyone did pay to have it fixed they gave refunds. So they took out any cost to the customer. Only thing that sucks is the month you dont have your xbox.
The more I use my PS3 the more I love my 360.

Xbox 360 RROD class action lawsuit 11 years 3 weeks ago #348609

• Sully907
  • Stage A - 1
Yea there isn't really much of a case here, how would you even "reimburse" someone for a month of lost time? Another stupid lawsuit in an overly litigious society.

Xbox 360 RROD class action lawsuit 11 years 3 weeks ago #348683

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
It doesn't have to have a logical case. Microsoft will probably settle. The lawyers will pocket a cool million, and the consumers who signed onto the suit will get some $10 coupon off a game or some other pithy gesture.Legalized racketeering is all it is.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Xbox 360 RROD class action lawsuit 11 years 3 weeks ago #348744

bentdog;348607 wrote:
They dont have a case. If you get the red ring microsoft will fix it for free, free shiping, free xbox LIVE for a month, and if anyone did pay to have it fixed they gave refunds. So they took out any cost to the customer. Only thing that sucks is the month you dont have your xbox.
They simply didn't have a choice , they had to do this or this lawsuit would have came awhile ago. What is the maximum percentage for a product's failure rate before a RECALL must be made? If i remember its somewhere between 12-25 % , which the 360 far exceeds. What the they should have done was offer a replacement to the newer chips , instead of having to wait around for the old ones to die. I have had mine for about a year and i babied the hell out it with plenty of ventilation around it and an intec cooler underneath it. I shouldn't have to be this cautious with something that was this expensive ( a 100 dollars more than the previous xbox......and for what ) So i really hope this lawsuit goes through so that Microsoft will think twice before cutting so many corners with there next console.
[gamercard]Pendragoon99[/gamercard] [psnid]Pendragoon99[/psnid]

Xbox 360 RROD class action lawsuit 11 years 3 weeks ago #348752

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
Pendragoon99;348744 wrote:
They simply didn't have a choice , they had to do this or this lawsuit would have came awhile ago. What is the maximum percentage for a product's failure rate before a RECALL must be made? If i remember its somewhere between 12-25 % , which the 360 far exceeds. What the they should have done was offer a replacement to the newer chips , instead of having to wait around for the old ones to die. I have had mine for about a year and i babied the hell out it with plenty of ventilation around it and an intec cooler underneath it. I shouldn't have to be this cautious with something that was this expensive ( a 100 dollars more than the previous xbox......and for what ) So i really hope this lawsuit goes through so that Microsoft will think twice before cutting so many corners with there next console.
Product recalls are only mandatory for products that demonstrate a safety risk. Microsoft has a written warranty that you agree too once you purchase the console. Yeah, the failures suck but I think Microsoft is already paying the price for their mistakes.

Xbox 360 RROD class action lawsuit 11 years 3 weeks ago #348753

• bentdog
  • Level 3
JoEDigiTECH;348752 wrote:
Product recalls are only mandatory for products that demonstrate a safety risk. Microsoft has a written warranty that you agree too once you purchase the console. Yeah, the failures suck but I think Microsoft is already paying the price for their mistakes.
Yeah they already lost somthing like $1 billion, and they lost some customers becasue of it too. I know a few people that did not buy a 360 because of the red rings.
The more I use my PS3 the more I love my 360.