Forum

TOPIC: Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347364

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
I don't know when the argument stemmed to the game being ABLE to run on the 360. It's painfully obvious that it can run no problem as long as they do a decent port job. The power is there. MGS4 looks fantastic and all, but there's nothing in the game that could be mistaken for "impossible" to be put on the 360. Hell, I think the textures could be BETTER on 360 with all of that extra RAM space.I thought the whole argument was sound compression quality loss (which is moot) and the multiple discs (which is just plain stupid. not like all of your favorite games are on one disc as it is, switching discs around is not a problem. and would in fact be PREFERRED for me over the stupid mandatory installs before each Act., that you have to install EVERYTIME you go from one Act to another, not just once)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347454

Ezekiel;347364 wrote:
I don't know when the argument stemmed to the game being ABLE to run on the 360. It's painfully obvious that it can run no problem as long as they do a decent port job. The power is there. MGS4 looks fantastic and all, but there's nothing in the game that could be mistaken for "impossible" to be put on the 360. Hell, I think the textures could be BETTER on 360 with all of that extra RAM space.I thought the whole argument was sound compression quality loss (which is moot) and the multiple discs (which is just plain stupid. not like all of your favorite games are on one disc as it is, switching discs around is not a problem. and would in fact be PREFERRED for me over the stupid mandatory installs before each Act., that you have to install EVERYTIME you go from one Act to another, not just once)
you're completely missing the point.for one, the problem with storage isn't the need to switch discs over installs, it's being able to have the 8gb of the game's engine along with all of the act specific files (textures, cutscenes, etc). installs are not replacing disc swapping or viceversa. the install is only there to remedy the slow read speed of the ps3's blu ray drive (so relics of the ps1 like untextured polygons and pop up don't occur) and is only used for the game's engine and large textures. for the game to run on 360, you'd need to port a program natively coded for the ps3 hardware (which is, for the record, the complete opposite of the 360's) and find a way to fit every act on it's own disc (a conservative estimate at best. assuming a 360 version wouldn't allow for mandatory installs, it would span 8 discs or more, and that's not even including mgo).secondly, while there's no doubt in anyone's mind that the 360 can display graphics just as good as those seen in mgs4, like i said earlier- the ps3's hardware is completely different from the 360's. it's not as easy as getting the game and plugging it into a ported environment (which, i'm actually not even sure exists for ps3 -> 360 ports at this point in time). they'd somehow have to redistribute the load put on the seven (usable) cpu's of the ps3 among the 360's three (and keep in mind also, the cell architecture is designed to be more reliant on the cpu's than anything else, so i'd assume there'd be a lot of hardware level reprogramming to be done there). the only way i could see a 360 version being made is if they completely remade the game from the ground up, but seeing how long it took to make the ps3 version, do you really want to wait until 2012 to have mgs4?

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347456

quashpdarkman;347454 wrote:
do you really want to wait until 2012 to have mgs4?
MGS4 is THE reason I dropped $400+ on a Playstation 3. And I don't regret one penny of it.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347459

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
quashpdarkman;347454 wrote:
you're completely missing the point.for one, the problem with storage isn't the need to switch discs over installs, it's being able to have the 8gb of the game's engine along with all of the act specific files (textures, cutscenes, etc). installs are not replacing disc swapping or viceversa. the install is only there to remedy the slow read speed of the ps3's blu ray drive (so relics of the ps1 like untextured polygons and pop up don't occur) and is only used for the game's engine and large textures. for the game to run on 360, you'd need to port a program natively coded for the ps3 hardware (which is, for the record, the complete opposite of the 360's) and find a way to fit every act on it's own disc (a conservative estimate at best. assuming a 360 version wouldn't allow for mandatory installs, it would span 8 discs or more, and that's not even including mgo).secondly, while there's no doubt in anyone's mind that the 360 can display graphics just as good as those seen in mgs4, like i said earlier- the ps3's hardware is completely different from the 360's. it's not as easy as getting the game and plugging it into a ported environment (which, i'm actually not even sure exists for ps3 -> 360 ports at this point in time). they'd somehow have to redistribute the load put on the seven (usable) cpu's of the ps3 among the 360's three (and keep in mind also, the cell architecture is designed to be more reliant on the cpu's than anything else, so i'd assume there'd be a lot of hardware level reprogramming to be done there). the only way i could see a 360 version being made is if they completely remade the game from the ground up, but seeing how long it took to make the ps3 version, do you really want to wait until 2012 to have mgs4?
I understand the idea of porting a game that's been tailored from head to toe specifically for the PS3 and putting it on the 360, and expecting it to be difficult, but I don't think it's as crazy as you make it out to be. Porting from the PS3 to the 360 has been said by developers to be an easier than to do than vice versa, and I think that would still hold true no matter how tangled the wires got in the development of MGS4. And from what I've read can be a 4 hour game (at its absolute shortest, of course, running through it like crazy) and from what I've seen of the game (me playing my copy on my PS3, screens/videos online) the textures aren't anything special. they're definitely nothing that are so special that they'd cause this giant problem. The 360 doesn't have a disc read speed problem, so I don't think anything regarding texture loading and pop-in problems would.. be a problem.Sorry, it's late and I kind of lost track with where I was going with all of this, so maybe I'll make a more coherent post later about it (even though the rumor has been "squashed"), but I think the only REAL thing holding back a port of this game would be the HD movies. But porting this game would be far from impossible and far from taking upwards of 4 years to do. I could see it happening by next year or a year after that, tops, if they were actively pursuing this goal right now. They could seperate the Acts but they would NOT need seperate discs each, but I do think seperating MGO onto it's own disc would be needed. But I think it's a bit much too assume that MGS4 is really as crazy complicated as they made it out to be. Even Kojima has said that MGS4 is possible on 360, that it would just take some work to make it happen. I remember it being a rumor flame well over a year ago.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347466

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
Well it looks like Morningstar does not like the spotlight that's been turned on them.
Here we go, for the umpteenth time: A quote published by Japanese investment research firm Morningstar that Konami was "actively looking" to bring MGS4 to Xbox 360 has now dissapeared from the record. This comes to light on the same day that Microsoft's Software and Services VP John Schappert said that the Xbox 360 could run the game.GameCyte details that the Kabushiki business journal, which is owned by Morningstar, now quotes a different Konami rep. and completely ignores the topic. The company is calling the new article a "second appearance" rather than a correction.
Japanese Business Journal Removes MGS4 on Xbox 360 Quote

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347468

• Hendrix
Just throwing this out there... Didn't Konami trademark MGS4: Existence a while back?? Could that have anything to do with the rumors that won't go away?

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347469

• BBboy20
  • Stage A - 1
Hendrix;347468 wrote:
Just throwing this out there... Didn't Konami trademark MGS4: Existence a while back?? Could that have anything to do with the rumors that won't go away?
Dunno, though that was disc 3 of MGS3:S LE
Signature