Forum

TOPIC: Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347292

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Burr;347290 wrote:
People really underestimate what compression can do. Of course it depends on how much crappier they're willing to make the 360 version than the original, but as a sheer matter of getting the game out and running on it, it's a very minor obstacle. Pirates were able to take many full size Dreamcast games and cram them into CD size after all..
Yeah, in some ways, it's very similar to all the talk about Resident Evil 2 back in the day.When the word first started trickling out that it was going to the N64, I remember all of the comments like "no way in hell will that happen" and "the N64 simply won't be able to handle a game like RE2!" Of course, not only was Capcom able to port the game (albeit with seriously compressed video in letterbox format), but they were able to make improvements to the graphics engine as well (of course, the N64 was a more powerful system...I'm not suggesting the same here, obviously).Bottom-line: it's a hell of a lot easier to port to the 360 than it is the other way around. We've seen plenty of 360-to-PS3 ports this generation already. Sure, you'll have to compress and/or potentially remove some of the lengthy cut-scenes, and undoubtedly work some magic within the graphics engine as well, but to suggest that it's impossible (or even improbable) is pretty naive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347301

• BBboy20
  • Stage A - 1
Flavius;347292 wrote:
Bottom-line: it's a hell of a lot easier to port to the 360 than it is the other way around. We've seen plenty of 360-to-PS3 ports this generation already. Sure, you'll have to compress and/or potentially remove some of the lengthy cut-scenes, and undoubtedly work some magic within the graphics engine as well, but to suggest that it's impossible (or even improbable) is pretty naive.
Nobody, in the reasonable realm, has said it couldn't be done; it's just that the problem is it's Metal Gear Solid; Substance might have suffered some framing hiccups when much was on the screen, but otherwise, it looked and sounded identical. What your speaking of would reduce/compromise the production values MGS strive out to be. Yes, technically, this is all aesthetics, but then, it also what makes MGS, MGS and I'd be shock if KP is willing to do that. If it was, mostly, some other game, they'd probably go for it. Then again, one pointed out that if they actually can make the porting easier without sacrificing anything, M$ may might as well make a Blu-Ray Driver. Though, they still would need to figure out how to fix the damn installing issues; it's just damn cheap on having to reinstall the title just to load back to a previous mission.I still find it funny that everyone still wants MGS4 even so it's not something as big, profitably, as GTAIV or Halo.
Signature

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347319

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
BBboy20;347301 wrote:
I still find it funny that everyone still wants MGS4 even so it's not something as big, profitably, as GTAIV or Halo.
Probably because you're confusing profitability with consumer interest.I could give two shits whether it sells like gangbusters on 360 or not. I'd like to play it and I don't anticipate picking up a PS3 in the near future. The question is whether or not there's sufficient interest amongst consumers and/or Microsoft justifying the expense of porting the title and releasing it on 360. KojiPro rocks, but it isn't their unilateral decision to make.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347322

• JUSTINFL
  • Level 10
I say they remove the cut scenes and just give us a 4 hour game

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347333

JUSTINFL;347322 wrote:
I say that's retarded!
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347338

JUSTINFL;347322 wrote:
play the game with the difficulty turned up one above the normal one and it takes you anywhere from 8 to 10 hours, skipping cutscenes of course.
[gamercard]J0HN McCLANE[/gamercard]PSN ID: J0HN-666-McCLANE

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347339

Flavius;347292 wrote:
Yeah, in some ways, it's very similar to all the talk about Resident Evil 2 back in the day.When the word first started trickling out that it was going to the N64, I remember all of the comments like "no way in hell will that happen" and "the N64 simply won't be able to handle a game like RE2!" Of course, not only was Capcom able to port the game (albeit with seriously compressed video in letterbox format), but they were able to make improvements to the graphics engine as well (of course, the N64 was a more powerful system...I'm not suggesting the same here, obviously).Bottom-line: it's a hell of a lot easier to port to the 360 than it is the other way around. We've seen plenty of 360-to-PS3 ports this generation already. Sure, you'll have to compress and/or potentially remove some of the lengthy cut-scenes, and undoubtedly work some magic within the graphics engine as well, but to suggest that it's impossible (or even improbable) is pretty naive.
say what you will, but i'm still saying it's still not even a remote possibility.if anything, konami's probably prepping the rumor mill for something else they're planning for the 360.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347345

quashpdarkman;347339 wrote:
say what you will, but i'm still saying it's still not even a remote possibility.if anything, konami's probably prepping the rumor mill for something else they're planning for the 360.
hopefully an MGS4 engine remake of MGS1.
[gamercard]J0HN McCLANE[/gamercard]PSN ID: J0HN-666-McCLANE

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347351

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Of course its gonna come to 360. My guess? Fall 2009. If KONAMI THEMSELVES are talking about it then it's barely even a rumor anymore. It's pretty much fact at this point.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 4 weeks ago #347353

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
And of course Microsoft confirms that it will run on the 360.Microsoft Says Xbox 360 Can "Handle" Metal Gear Solid 4