Forum

TOPIC: Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347144

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
The rumor that will not die.Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360
And here you thought we'd escaped TGS without this rumorang whizzing by again. Oh no, we most certainly did not (duck!). "We're actively looking into a [Metal Gear Solid 4] release for the Xbox 360," a Konami rep told Japanese investment research firm Morningstar for a TGS report published today (in Japanese). Feel free to take that as "no duh" or a renewed glimmer of hope -- Morningstar's report does not include further evidence that Konami is any closer to bringing a MGS4 port to Xbox 360 than when the rumor first appeared ... two years ago!As IGN notes, the key dilemma is in the discs. How to transfer all that optimized Blu-ray data? And, where to put it?
At this point I see this becoming more of a reality with Microsoft's announcement of being able to transfer games to the hard drive in the near future. But still how many DVD discs will it take?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347150

i've posted about this on several forums over several years and my answer hasn't changed at all; it isn't going to happen, ever. the technical difficulty (bordering on the edge of impossibility) of porting a ps3 game actually made to run optimally on ps3 hardware to do the same on a 360 is hard enough, let alone finding the space either on the 360 hard drive (which microsoft doesn't allow for mandatory installs) or every dvd the game comes on. factor that into the cost of doing such a thing, as well as the fact that the 360's only strong install base is in north america, and there really isn't a reason for this to ever happen.if there's one thing i hate the internet for, it's making people think that small issues and niche facets of countercultures are huge, and this rumor is living proof of it. mgs, in the grand scheme of things, isn't a very popular series. any significance it once held as a commercial success (namely between 98-03) is long gone, and in the company of franchises like halo and guitar hero, fails to make any sort of significant impact on the market. though you may not think this from all the bitching about this you see on various forums and blogs, if you ask the average person on the street if they've heard of metal gear, most would say no; compared to asking if they've heard of halo, which at this point, would definitely yield many "yes" responses. so what makes anyone think that mgs4 would sell so well on the 360 if it has little to no mainstream presence?lastly, if you haven't noticed, sony has needed mgs4 to come out since the ps3 did. there's no way in hell sony is going to let konami do this, at least not without a hell of a fight. if their exclusivity contract doesn't hold up (after only 4 months of being out? really?), then sony will feed them gold to keep mgs4 a ps3 exclusive. this is a game that sony can't afford to lose to the 360, and sony knows that- so don't expect a 360 version to come out.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347153

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
While you have valid points, you do know that Microsoft is going to allow hard drive installs right? This is something that would go a long way of making this a reality, if Konami is serious about bringing it over to the 360.It's true that MGS is not as popular as it once was, but that said I would say there is enough interest in it to make it a financial interest to Konami.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347155

"[The hard drive install feature] will allow you to install any game that you want. It's optional, of course," said Xbox Live general manager Marc Whitten.
i've known about the optional installs for quite some time now- i actually think it was in a thread here that i first heard about it. what i'm talking about are mandatory installs (which, in order to keep a 360 version of mgs4 cost efficient to mass produce, would be necessary), which microsoft has said time and again that they can't support (and rightfully so, as most 360's wouldn't be able to hold more than two or three installs at a time).

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347158

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
OK I see what you're talking about. At this point while Konami keeps talking about it, it will have to actually release for me to believe it.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347162

• kadosho
  • Level 10
A few things some of the gaming communities may be forgetting..- Konami is an open source publisher, when they want to make money they will outsource their titles - Was there ever a contract? Or was it on a handshake? - Exclusivity - This word alone was something to cling onto, maybe its something that needs to be let go. Especially in times like these, if there is an outreach for more consumers, they may have to make the bet.- Although it may be Kojima's baby, MGS is more than what it used to be.
[gamercard]kadosho[/gamercard]JKOrochinagi KOF fans uniteBTMusic 2.0

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347175

• BBboy20
  • Stage A - 1
Um...there have been multiple current sources that have been rather debunking the rumor.
Signature

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347178

By the time it would come out on the 360, it will be wellover a year old, on multiple discs and require a harddrive.Too much waiting and hassle for me.If I didnt already own a PS3 I would still buy one just to play it now.MGS4 is that awesome of a game.
[gamercard]J0HN McCLANE[/gamercard]PSN ID: J0HN-666-McCLANE

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347183

• Feelgood
  • Stage A - 1
Who cares. I've already played MGS4 on my PC. I just went to youtube, typed in Metal Gear Solid 4, and BAM, I'm playing MGS4 on my PC.

Konami: 'We're actively looking' into MGS4 on Xbox 360 11 years 1 month ago #347185

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Feelgood;347183 wrote:
Who cares. I've already played MGS4 on my PC. I just went to youtube, typed in Metal Gear Solid 4, and BAM, I'm playing MGS4 on my PC.
Download the .flv convert it into a .wmv and then play it on your 360.