Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: Shenmue- Yu Suzuki

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2027

• d5t
  • Level 1
I was blown away when I played the first Shenmue on the Dreamcast. Every NPC had its own voice over, the enviroment was highly detailed, Yu Suzuki (the creator of Out Run, Hang-On, After Burner...Shenmue) created the F.R.E.E. Engine (Fully Reactive Eyes Entertainment) exclusively for Shenmue, the story was top notch...and I can go on forever ;3. After playing the first Shenmue last summer, I got the sequel Shenmue II for the Xbox. Shenmue II was to be released on the Dreamcast in the United States but was cancelled when Sega stoped production of its console. It did however get released on the Dreamcast in Japan and Europe. Shenmue II did fix the annyoing little things that hampered the gameplay in Shenmue I, making it more enjoyable. Shenmue II's enviroment vastly expanded, along with the storyline. However, the two games did not sell very well in the United States (I'm not exactly sure how well it did in Asia and Europe). Shenmue I took 5 years (originally created for the Sega Saturn, but near the end of developement scrapped for the more supperior Dreamcast) and an estimated $20 million dollars to produce. The image below shows how Shenmue was to be layed out across 7 or so games (16 chapters) But due to lack of funding Shenmue III (many were hoping for some kind of announcement at E3 2004) might be the last game.What do you guys think about the Shenmue series and Yu Suzuki?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2089

• InnerLogic
  • Stage A - 1
I remember playing the First Shenmue game on my Dreamcast, and I hated it. The story was not that good, The controls were just plain bad in many cases (I could never get them to work FOR me, they always seemed to work AGAINST me), and the english VO work was just plain laughable.I loved the Idea of it, Being able to fully interact with the surronding's, but there end result was not that good.

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2090

• MusicFan
  • Stage A - 1
They really should make another, Sega should put creative ambitions before profits.
Psychonauts - The Greatest Game EVER! - Coming April 19th, The National Holiday Known As "The Release Of The Excellent Game Psychonauts Day"

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2092

• InnerLogic
  • Stage A - 1
MusicFan wrote:
They really should make another, Sega should put creative ambitions before profits.
Change that with"All Company's should put creative ambitions before profits"They won't, but it's a good dream.....

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2096

that game gave me the worst headache i have ever gotten playing video games...
[gamercard]Stonecoldfreak1[/gamercard]

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2127

• d5t
  • Level 1
MusicFan wrote:
Yeah that's why Shenmue II came out, Yu always thinks about his fanbase before profit. With the Sega and Sammy merger, I think they have a sufficient amount of funding for Shenmue III. 8)

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2137

• MusicFan
  • Stage A - 1
d5t wrote:
MusicFan wrote:
Yeah that's why Shenmue II came out, Yu always thinks about his fanbase before profit. With the Sega and Sammy merger, I think they have a sufficient amount of funding for Shenmue III. 8)
Hopefully, their secretly working on it.
Psychonauts - The Greatest Game EVER! - Coming April 19th, The National Holiday Known As "The Release Of The Excellent Game Psychonauts Day"

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2190

• Carps
  • Stage A - 3
Shenmue has been one of my greatest gaming experiences...ever. The story is absolutely fantastic, and the first DC game is without a doubt a classic. If the series has ended at II, it is ended a terrible shame for I will always be curious as to the outcome of this wonderful story.[/b]

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2208

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
I loved Shenmue myself and I hope for another one just like all the other fans. I think it's real pathetic how bad the market is for ALL adventure games like these today. The new Sam and Max got canceled. Where's Grim Fandango 2? Goddamnit I love this style of game and it's dead because of all the idiots playing GTA out there.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Shenmue- Yu Suzuki 15 years 1 month ago #2211

• MusicFan
  • Stage A - 1
Burr wrote:
I loved Shenmue myself and I hope for another one just like all the other fans. I think it's real pathetic how bad the market is for ALL adventure games like these today. The new Sam and Max got canceled. Where's Grim Fandango 2? Goddamnit I love this style of game and it's dead because of all the idiots playing GTA out there.
Thankfully, there's the excellent game Psychonauts. Those games do need a sequel though. GTA players are truly idiots.[/url]
  • Page: